Mini Chipotle Shrimp Tostadas
These tiny bites are packed with spice and flavor and will have your guests coming back for seconds.
By: Kristin Guy
Recipe Courtesy of Dine X Design
6 large uncooked shrimp
6-ounce can of chipotle peppers in adobo sauce
4 cloves garlic, minced
15-ounce can black beans
2 cups Cotija cheese
1/4 teaspoon ground cumin
3/4 cup blue cornmeal
1 cup flour
Salsa Verde Ingredients
2 lbs. tomatillos, husked and washed
4 cloves garlic
1/2 white onion
2 pascilla peppers
1 serrano chili
1 tablespoon olive oil
salt and pepper to taste
2 tablespoons ground cumin
2-3 tablespoons chopped cilantro
1. In a small bowl mix 2 chipotle peppers, 1/4 cup adobo sauce, 4 minced garlic cloves and juice of one lime. Add shrimp, coat and set aside for 30-45 minutes (Image 1).
2. For bean spread, add drained black beans, juice of one lime, 1/4 teaspoon ground cumin, 2 teaspoons adobo sauce and heat in a skillet while stirring. Reduce liquid for 3-5 minutes. Puree bean mixture in a bowl and set aside (Image 2).
3. In a saucepan, saute coated shrimp for 3-5 minutes a side until cooked.
4. To create mini blue corn tortillas, mix 3/4 cups blue cornmeal with 3/4 cups boiling water, stir until mixed through and set aside for 30 minutes.
5. Once blue cornmeal has rested, mix with 1/2 to 1 cup flour on a breadboard, adding only 1/4 cup at a time until mixture is no longer sticky (Image 3).
6. Covering tortilla press with a little flour, place a Ping-Pong-sized ball of dough and clamp down softly. Using a rolling pin can also flatten out dough (Image 4).
7. On a hot skillet, place flattened dough and cook for a few minutes a side until slightly golden and crispy (Image 5).
8. Assemble appetizers by spreading the bean mixture on top of the mini tortillas and topping with chopped romaine, chipotle shrimp, salsa verde and a sprinkling of Cotija cheese and fresh cilantro.
Salsa Verde Instructions
1. In an oven-safe dish, coat tomatillos, peppers, garlic and onion with olive oil, salt and pepper.
2. Roast at 350 degrees F for 45-60 minutes until everything is soft and slightly blistered. Once peppers have cooled, remove stems and seeds.
3. In a food processor, place the roasted vegetables with 2 tablespoons of ground cumin, the juice of 1 lime and 2-3 tablespoons chopped cilantro.
Easy Queso Blanco Dip
This queso blanco dip is easy to make and is the perfect appetizer for your next party.
Adobo Chicken Tamales Recipe
Homemade tamales seem time-consuming, but you'll be able to whip up these authentic flavors in no time.
Margarita Cupcakes Recipe
Incorporate some tequila into these cupcakes for a kick your Cinco de Mayo guests will love.
Sol de Flare Cocktail Recipe
Some like it hot! This refreshing cocktail, peppered with spicy tequila, is sure to start a fiesta at any occasion.
Baked Churros Recipe
Make a healthier version of this delicious fried treat by baking it instead.
Easy Flan Recipe
Making flan isn't easy, but this simple recipe makes even the most novice of bakers seem like a pro.
Quick and Easy Potato Latkes
Create a delicious Hanukkah meal with this quick and easy potato latke recipe, made with frozen shredded potato.
How to Make a Flower Piñata
A luxurious and fragrant update to the traditional piñata, the sophisticated color palette and whimsical flare of this party decor will be the star at your next fiesta.
How to Make a Moss Monogram
Apply moss to an oversized chipboard letter and embellish with ribbon and artificial buds to create a whimsical monogram with a spring feel.
Colorful Spiral Cookies Recipe
These colorful cookies will brighten up any occasion. They're slice and bake, so you can freeze any leftover dough for your next occasion.
We're serving up the latest news, gorgeous style, crafty DIY projects, clever entertaining tips and more. Consider these your design digests.