How to Make Elegant Stenciled Napkins
Classic white napkins can easily be dressed up for special holidays with a stencil and washable fabric paint. The creative options and themes are limitless.
By: Marian Parson
- iron and ironing board
- white cotton or linen napkins
- acrylic craft paint in desired color(s)
- fabric medium
- stencil bottle with foam brush top
- masking tape (optional)
Wash and Press Napkins
Follow cleaning instructions on napkins. Wash, dry and iron smooth.
Place stencil in desired location on napkin and hold firmly or tape in place. Tip: Choose a stencil that is sized appropriately for the napkin so the design will be visible when the napkin is folded.
Mix acrylic craft paint and fabric medium in bottle with foam brush top following manufacturer's instructions for mix ratio. Screw on top. Press down on foam brush gently until paint comes out. Pounce brush gently over stencil to fully fill in design. Do not use too much paint or it will bleed under stencil.
Lift stencil straight off of napkin, so painted design doesn't smear. Allow paint to dry. Launder according to manufacturer's instructions. Tip: Add ribbon trim, rickrack or buttons for additional customization.
How to Make Hand-Painted Plates
Give inexpensive white dinner plates a high-end, custom look with a stenciled design and ceramic paint. Not only is this project great for the holidays, but also for weddings, anniversaries and birthdays.
Fall-Inspired Linen and Felt Acorn Pillow
With basic sewing skills and just a few materials, you can create this cute fall acorn pillow that mixes fine linen with humble felt and jute twine.
How to Make a Rectangular Rustic Fall Wreath
This simple and sophisticated wreath brings a natural element to holiday decor. Its versatility allows you to hang it on a door or use it flat on a table as a centerpiece.
Sophisticated Fruit and Vegetable Centerpiece
A stroll through the produce department of your local grocery store will yield the colorful materials needed to create this unusual centerpiece — no flowers necessary.
Natural Wheat Bundle Centerpiece
Here's an inexpensive take (under $10!) on a popular store bought fall centerpiece idea.
Edible Fall Centerpiece
Pair ornamental kale with asparagus to create a stunning (and edible!) centerpiece for your fall get-together or Thanksgiving dinner.
How to Make a Plaster Leaf Tray
Turn inexpensive silk leaves and plaster of Paris into an oversized tray that resembles fine porcelain. Leave the tray white or paint it to coordinate with your decor.
How to Make a Ship Centerpiece for Thanksgiving
Kids will love helping to make this large sailing ship centerpiece, which is reminiscent of the vessels that brought colonists to the new world. It's a cinch to make and will definitely bring a boat-load of fun to any Thanksgiving table.
Plaster Leaf Napkin Ring and Place Card
Coat silk leaves in budget-friendly plaster of Paris to create sleek napkin rings and place cards for your Thanksgiving table.
How to Create a Fall Leaf Lampshade
Give an ordinary lampshade autumnal appeal by stenciling it with fall leaves. This project is an easy and inexpensive way to give a subtle nod to the changing seasons.
- Our 45 Favorite Fall Decorating Ideas
- 25 Thanksgiving Table Setting Ideas
- 31 Centerpieces You Can Make
- 25 Warm & Toasty Appetizers
- Thanksgiving Main Dishes & Sides
- 21 Cold Weather Cocktails
- 30 Irresistible Fall Desserts
- 10 Tips for a Simply Chic Thanksgiving
- Set Up a Turkey Day To-Go Station
- 20 Modern, Organic Table-Setting Ideas
- 21 Tips for Setting Up a Dessert Buffet
- Our Stars' Best Holiday Hosting Tips
- How to Set a Rustic Fall Table
- Set a Glamorous, Glittering Table
- Stress Less, Serve Buffet Style
- Host A Casual Thanksgiving Brunch
- Get Your Dining Room Ready to Party
- Set Up a Kid-Pleasing Snack Station
- Video: Tips From Our Pros
- Set Up a Kids' Thanksgiving Table
- 19 Turkey Day Kids' Crafts
- 15 Tips for Guest Bedrooms
- Host Weekend Guests Like a Pro
- 12 Guest Bathroom Prep Tips
- 8 Traditional Thanksgiving Decorating Ideas
We're serving up the latest news, gorgeous style, crafty DIY projects, clever entertaining tips and more. Consider these your design digests.