Homemade Shamrock Marshmallow Recipe
Serve these festive shamrock marshmallows with your Irish coffee or hot cocoa for St. Patrick's Day, or skip the green food coloring to enjoy them any time of year. Try our no-cook version, too!
1 cup cold water, divided
3 envelopes unflavored gelatin
2 cups granulated sugar
1 cup light corn syrup
pinch of salt
1 teaspoon peppermint (sub: 2 teaspoons vanilla extract)
green food coloring
1-2 cups powdered sugar
shamrock-shaped cookie cutters
No-Cook Marshmallow Ingredients
one container whipped topping
1/2 cup cold water
green food coloring
peppermint extract (optional)
1. Line a cookie sheet with aluminum foil and dust with a thick layer of powdered sugar.
2. Pour 1/2 cup cold water into a stand mixer bowl fitted with whisk attachment, sprinkle in gelatin. Let sit for 10 minutes. Meanwhile, stir together remaining 1/2 cup water, granulated sugar, corn syrup and salt in a 2-quart saucepan. Bring to a boil. Insert candy thermometer and boil until syrup reaches 240 degrees F.
3. With the mixer running at low speed, carefully pour the hot syrup into the softened gelatin. Slowly increase the speed until the mixer is running on high and beat until mixture has tripled in volume and is very stiff, like a thick marshmallow cream. Add mint extract and beat for 30 seconds longer.
4. Scrape marshmallow cream onto prepared cookie sheet and smooth with an offset spatula. Dot with food coloring and swirl with a knife or toothpick. Dust with a layer of powdered sugar and let sit uncovered for 12 hours.
5. To cut, dip cookie cutter in powdered sugar and press slowly. Place cut marshmallows in a bag of powdered sugar and shake gently. Dust off excess sugar and serve immediately, or store in an airtight container for up to two weeks.
Line a baking dish with wax paper. Scoop whipped topping into dish, add water and extract (if using), whisk until combined. Smooth flat with a spatula. Dot with food coloring and swirl with a knife or toothpick. Freeze for at least four hours. Remove from baking dish, and cut out with cookie cutters. Serve immediately or place back into freezer until ready to use.