Homemade Marshmallow Recipe
These fluffy, sweet treats are perfect for topping homemade hot cocoa or creating a gooey center in s'mores.
By: Michele Beschen
1/4 cup cornstarch
1/3 cup confectioners' sugar
envelope unflavored gelatin
1/3 cup water
2/3 cup granulated sugar
1/2 cup light corn syrup
pinch of salt
1 tsp vanilla
1. Sift cornstarch and confectioners' sugar into a bowl. Lightly grease an 8" x 8" square baking pan and sprinkle one tablespoon of the cornstarch and sugar mixture into it. Tilt the pan in all directions to coat the sides as well as the bottom. Leave any excess mixture in the pan.
2. Sprinkle gelatin into the water in a small saucepan and let sit for five minutes. Add granulated sugar and stir over moderately low heat until the gelatin and sugar dissolve.
3. In the large bowl of an electric mixer, combine the gelatin mixture, corn syrup, salt and vanilla and beat for 15 minutes on high speed, until peaks form.
4. Spread the fluffy mixture in the prepared pan and smooth the top. Leave for two hours or until fully set.
5. With a wet knife, cut the marshmallow mixture into quarters and loosen around the edges. Sprinkle the remaining cornstarch and sugar on a baking sheet and invert the marshmallow blocks onto it. Cut each quarter into nine pieces and roll each one in the starch and sugar.
6. Place marshmallows on a cake rack covered with a flour sack towel or paper towels and let them stand overnight to dry the surface slightly. Tip: Store in an airtight container and these marshmallows stay fresh for at least a month.
Santana Sangria Punch
Serve this smooth sangria and get your party started.
Baked Ice Cream Delights Kids
Food expert shows how to make fun birthday food even more fun.
Curried Chicken Salad
This simple recipe is ideal for a casual lunch gathering.
Frozen Irish Banana Cocktail Recipe
Didn't know they grew bananas in Ireland did you? Well typically they don't, but it does make for a refreshing and delicious concoction that can be enjoyed at the Frangipani Beach Resort in Anguilla. Now you can try it at home. Serves two.
Strawberry Almond Salad
Crispy and crunchy with unexpected flavors, this salad can be assembled in minutes.
Mediterranean Potato Salad
Give potato salad an exotic flair with this simple recipe.
Caribbean Cruise Punch
Treat yourself to a sweet, summery tropical rum punch with this recipe from HGTV.com.
No-Fuss, Kid-Friendly Party Recipes
If you're hosting a party and children are invited, make them feel special with their own menu.
Texican Tailgate Cocoa Freeze Cocktail Recipe
Craving hot chocolate but the temperature outside is 100 degrees in the shade? Consider cooling your tailgaters off with this chilly drink. You'll need a blender to make this one, so pack one for the party.
Dip Trio: Guacamole, Black Bean Salsa and Drunken Pico de Gallo
These Mexican-inspired appetizer ideas offer triple the fun.
We're serving up the latest news, gorgeous style, crafty DIY projects, clever entertaining tips and more. Consider these your design digests.