These footballs are so tasty, you'll play keep away with the platter all afternoon.
¾ cup unsalted butter
1 ½ cups light brown sugar
2 large eggs
½ teaspoon vanilla extract
¼ teaspoon salt
¼ teaspoon baking powder
3 ½ cups flour
½ cup whole milk
5 ounces dark chocolate, coarsely chopped
1 tablespoon unsalted butter
1 cup confectioners' sugar
1 egg white
Yield: 24 cookies
1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. In the bowl of a standing mixer, cream the butter and brown sugar until thick and fluffy. Add the eggs, one at a time and mix until well combined. Add the vanilla, salt and baking powder. Mix well.
3. Turn the mixer down to stir, and add two cups of the flour and milk. Mix until almost all combined, then add the remaining 1 1/2 cups flour. Mix until all is combined.
4. Line two cookie sheets with parchment paper. Using two large spoons, shape the dough into football shapes and drop onto the cookie sheet (8 per sheet, with about 2 inches between them). Repeat until you use all the batter.
5. Bake for 18-20 minutes or until golden brown. Let cool on the cookie sheet for 10 minutes.
6. Make the glaze by melting the chocolate and one tablespoon butter over a double boiler. Dip the top of each football into the chocolate, shaking any excess loose. Let cool until it sets.
7. While the chocolate sets, make the white icing for the laces by beating the egg white and confectioners' sugar until smooth. Pour into a piping bag, and pipe laces onto the set chocolate.