Creme Brulee Recipe
Surprise your sweetheart by learning how to make this classic dessert in your own kitchen.
It's creamy with a bit of crunch, and creme brulee can be easily made in the home kitchen.
Ingredients and Tools
1 quart heavy cream
1 vanilla bean, split and scraped
1 cup vanilla sugar, divided
6 large egg yolks
2 quarts hot water
fruit for garnish (optional)
1. Preheat the oven to 325° F.
2. Place the cream, vanilla bean and its pulp into a medium saucepan set over medium-high heat and bring to a boil.
3. Remove from the heat, cover and allow it to sit for 15 minutes. Remove the vanilla bean and reserve for another use.
4. In a medium bowl, whisk together 1/2 cup sugar and the egg yolks until well blended.
5. Add the cream a little at a time, stirring continually.
6. Pour the liquid into six (7- to 8-ounce) ramekins. Place the ramekins into a large cake pan or roasting pan.
7. Pour enough hot water into the pan to come halfway up the sides of the ramekins.
8. Bake just until the liquid is set, but still trembling in the center, approximately 40 to 45 minutes.
9. Remove the ramekins from the roasting pan and refrigerate for at least two hours and up to three days.
10. Remove the ramekins from the refrigerator for at least 30 minutes before browning the sugar on top. Divide the remaining 1/2 cup vanilla sugar equally among the six dishes and spread evenly on top.
11. Using a torch, melt the sugar and form a crispy top. Allow the creme brulee to sit for at least 5 minutes before serving. Garnish with fruit, if desired.
Yield: 6 servings