Coca-Cola Cupcake With Salted Peanut Butter Frosting Recipe
Chocolate cake is nuanced with the flavor of Coca-Cola, and the peanut butter frosting delivers a perfect sweet and salty bite.
1 cup Coca-Cola
1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
4 tablespoons unsalted butter, cut into pieces
1/2 cup plus 2 tablespoons granulated sugar
1/4 cup firmly packed dark brown sugar
1 cup all-purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon plus 1/8 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
4 cups powdered sugar
1 cup unsalted butter, softened
1 cup creamy peanut butter
1/4 teaspoon salt
3-4 tablespoons heavy cream
sea salt for sprinkling
ground salted peanuts
1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Line a cupcake pan with baking papers.
2. In a small saucepan, heat Coca-Cola, cocoa powder and butter over medium heat until butter is melted. Add sugars and whisk until dissolved. Remove from heat and let cool.
3. In a large bowl, whisk flour, baking soda and salt together.
4. In a small bowl, whisk egg until just beaten, then whisk them into the cooled cocoa mixture until combined. Gently stir flour mixture into cocoa mixture.
5. Use a 1/4 cup measure to pour batter into the cupcake papers. Bake cupcakes for 25 minutes or until cake springs back when pressed in the middle.
6. Allow cupcakes to cool completely before frosting.
Note: Diet cola cannot be used as a substitute for regular cola in this recipe.
1. In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with a whisk attachment, combine powdered sugar, butter, peanut butter and salt. Mix on low speed until just combined, then switch to high speed.
2. Add heavy cream and beat until mixture is lightened and smooth. Transfer to a piping bag or zip-top bag with the corner snipped. Pipe onto cooled cupcakes. Garnish with chocolate sprinkles, ground peanuts and a sprinkling of sea salt.