Christmas Sugar Cookies Recipe
Make classic sugar cookies in your favorite holiday shapes with just six basic ingredients.
1 cup unsalted butter, softened
1 cup, plus 2 tablespoons granulated sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
3 cups all-purpose flour
pinch of salt
1. In a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, mix butter and sugar together until just incorporated.
2. Add egg and vanilla extract. Mix again on low speed, stopping to scrape down the sides of the bowl intermittently as needed.
3. In a medium bowl, whisk together flour and salt. Add to butter and egg mixture. Mix on low speed until a dough is formed and there are no longer any streaks of butter in the mixing bowl.
4. The dough will clump around the paddle attachment while being mixed. If your mixture does not come together and is crumbly, add ice-cold water 1 tablespoon at a time until the dough clumps.
5. Line two baking sheets with parchment paper.
6. Turn the dough out onto a sheet of wax paper and top with a second sheet (Image 1). Roll dough into an oblong disc between the papers with a rolling pin (Image 2).
7. Transfer dough — wax paper and all — to a large cookie sheet. Wrap dough tightly onto cookie sheet with plastic wrap and refrigerate for 1 hour.
8. Remove top sheet of wax paper and roll dough a little thinner. It should not be sticky. You may dust the surface lightly with flour if it is sticky, but not too much.
9. Roll dough to a 1/4-inch to 1/2-inch thickness.
10. Cut out desired shapes from dough (Images 1, 2) and transfer to prepared baking sheet.
11. Refrigerate cutouts for 30 minutes. This will help cookies maintain a crisp shape during baking.
12. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
13. Bake cookies for 15 to 20 minutes.
14. Let cool on baking sheet for 5 minutes. Transfer to a wire rack.