Chocolate Christmas Cookies Recipe
Incorporate unsweetened cocoa powder into a classic Christmas sugar cookie recipe to get a chocolate-dough variation.
By: Heather Baird
1 cup unsalted butter, softened
1 cup, plus 2 tablespoons granulated sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
2 cups all-purpose flour
1 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
pinch of salt
1. In a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, mix butter and sugar together until just incorporated.
2. Add egg and vanilla extract. Mix again on low speed, stopping to scrape down the sides of the bowl intermittently as needed.
3. In a medium bowl, whisk together cocoa powder and salt. Add to butter and egg mixture. Mix on low speed until a dough is formed and there are no longer any streaks of butter in the mixing bowl.
4. The dough will clump around the paddle attachment while being mixed. If your mixture does not come together and is crumbly, add ice-cold water 1 tablespoon at a time until the dough clumps.
5. Line two baking sheets with parchment paper.
6. Turn the dough out onto a sheet of wax paper and top with a second sheet. Roll dough into an oblong disc between the papers with a rolling pin.
7. Transfer dough — wax paper and all — to a large cookie sheet. Wrap dough tightly onto cookie sheet with plastic wrap and refrigerate for 1 hour.
8. Remove top sheet of wax paper and roll dough a little thinner (Image 1). It should not be sticky. You may dust the surface lightly with flour if it is sticky, but not too much.
9. Roll dough to a 1/4-inch to 1/2-inch thickness.
10. Cut out desired shapes from dough (Images 1, 2) and transfer to prepared baking sheet.
11. Refrigerate cutouts for 30 minutes. This will help cookies maintain a crisp shape during baking.
12. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
13. Bake cookies for 15 to 20 minutes.
14. Let cool on baking sheet for 5 minutes. Transfer to a wire rack.
Chocolate and Candied Orange Christmas Cookies Recipe
Dress up a basic chocolate cookie dough recipe for the holidays by adding candied orange.
Chocolate-Vanilla Striped Christmas Cookies Recipe
Mix together a basic sugar cookie dough with a chocolate-dough variation to create a cookie that blends both flavors.
Christmas Sugar Cookies Recipe
Make classic sugar cookies in your favorite holiday shapes with just six basic ingredients.
Cashew Dulce de Leche Christmas Cookies Recipe
Add chopped cashews, cinnamon and dulce de leche on top of basic sugar cookies to give them a sweet holiday kick.
Mexican Wedding Cookies
Buttery, nutty Mexican wedding cookies are perfect for any festive occasion, especially the holidays.
Chocolate Almond Biscotti
Chocolate, coffee and almonds mix together to make these sweet and crunchy Italian treats. Serve them with hot cocoa or cappuccinos for a truly seasonal accompaniment.
Jam-Filled Linzer Cookies
Raspberry and apricot jam are sandwiched between two buttery crusts with a small cutout on top to create this classic holiday dessert.
Easy Royal Icing Recipe
This thick and fluffy royal icing recipe is perfect for holding together Christmas gingerbread houses.
Easy Gingerbread Dough Recipe
This sturdy dough is perfect for gingerbread architecture during the holiday season.
Set Up a Holiday Hot Chocolate Bar
During the winter offer guests an alternate sundae station by creating a hot chocolate bar. Set out toppings like whipped cream, chocolate chips and peppermints so they can create the ultimate holiday treat.
Found a living space you love in HGTV's Photo Library? Get the look in your own home with products from Wayfair.
Photo Friday: Cooking and Dining in the Great Outdoors
HGTV Design Blog – Design Happens Aug 28, 2015 by Beth Rucker
This or That: Pick Your Favorite Vintage Find From Fixer Upper
HGTV Design Blog – Design Happens Aug 27, 2015 by Farima Alavi
6 Essentials for the Perfect Tailgate Party + Win the 1 Thing You Really Need
HGTV Design Blog – Design Happens Aug 25, 2015 by Farima Alavi
Discover the Winning Hue in Our Color Vs. Color Competition!
HGTV Design Blog – Design Happens Aug 24, 2015 by Kayla Kitts
Copy This Room: Get Beach Flip Style in Your Living Room
HGTV Design Blog – Design Happens Aug 24, 2015 by Shannon Petrie
4 Ways to Personalize Your Dorm Desk + College Goodie Giveaway!
HGTV Design Blog – Design Happens Aug 21, 2015 by Farima Alavi
The Easiest (and Cutest!) DIY Dorm Roommate Mugs Ever
HGTV Design Blog – Design Happens Aug 20, 2015 by Marianne Canada