Chocolate Almond Biscotti
Yield: 20 biscotti
2/3 cup granulated sugar
2 large eggs
2 ounces semisweet chocolate, melted and cooled
1 teaspoon instant-coffee granules
1 teaspoon hot water
1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
1 3/4 cups flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup whole almonds, toasted and roughly chopped
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
2. In the bowl of an electric mixer, beat sugar and eggs on medium-high until pale and fluffy.
3. Beat in melted chocolate.
4. Dissolve coffee granules in hot water, then beat vanilla extract and coffee mixture into chocolate mixture.
5. In a separate bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder and salt.
6. Add to the chocolate mixture and beat until combined, then fold in chopped almonds.
7. Line a baking sheet with parchment, then transfer dough to the baking sheet and, with damp hands, form into a 12-inch log.
8. Bake until firm to the touch (approximately 20-30 minutes).
9. Remove from oven and let cool on wire rack for 10 minutes.
10. Transfer the log to a cutting board and, using a serrated knife, cut into 3/4-inch slices, on the diagonal.
11. Put biscotti back on parchment-lined baking sheet, this time cut-side down. Reduce oven temperature to 325 degrees F, then bake biscotti for 10 minutes.
12. Flip to the other side, and bake an additional 10 minutes.
13. Remove from oven and let cool.
Note: Biscotti will keep in an airtight container for up to 10 days.