Cajun-Style Gumbalaya Recipe
For the Gumbo
4 tablespoons butter
1/2 cup flour
3 cups chicken stock
1/3 cup green peppers, diced
1/3 cup celery, diced
1/3 cup onion, diced
2 bay leaves
1/4 teaspoon oregano
1/4 teaspoon dried thyme
2 teaspoons hot sauce
2 teaspoons Creole seasoning
1/4 teaspoon black pepper
1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
1 pound chicken boneless skinless breasts
1 pound Andouille sausage
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
2. Place chicken in a roasting pan and cook for 20 minutes.
3. Let stand for five minutes after taking out of the oven, then cut into half-inch pieces.
4. Cook Andouille sausage in the oven for 8 minutes at 350 degrees F.
5. Let stand for 5 minutes before cutting into half-inch slices.
6. Place butter and flour in a large saucepot. Turn on medium heat and cook while stirring until it becomes a light chocolate color.
7. Add green peppers, celery, onion, chicken, Andouille sausage and bay leaves.
8. Add chicken stock to saucepot with the vegetable mixture, stirring constantly so the roux fully incorporates with the stock.
9. Add cayenne pepper, black pepper, Creole seasoning, thyme, oregano and hot sauce.
10. Let gumbo cook for 15 minutes. Add salt as needed.
For the Jambalaya Sauce
1 tablespoon olive oil
1/4 cup celery, diced
1/4 cup onion, diced
1/4 cup bell pepper, diced
1 teaspoon fresh thyme, chopped
1 teaspoon fresh oregano
pinch of cayenne pepper
pinch of black pepper
1 teaspoon Creole seasoning
2 teaspoons crushed red pepper flakes
1 tablespoon hot sauce
3 cups basic marinara sauce
salt, to taste
2 cups cooked white rice
1. Place olive oil in a medium saucepot.
2. Add celery, onion and bell pepper to pot and cook for 5-6 minutes.
3. Add garlic, fresh thyme, oregano, cayenne, Creole seasoning, crushed red pepper flakes and hot sauce.
4. Lastly, add marinara sauce and simmer for 10 minutes. Add salt as needed.
To Make Gumbalaya
1. Prepare gumbo.
2. Prepare jambalaya sauce.
3. Add 2 cups of cooked white rice to jambalaya sauce.
4. Serve gumbo in a bowl with a heaping scoop of jambalaya and rice mixture.