Banana Pudding Parfait Recipe
Layers of vanilla pudding, banana slices and wafers combine to create a miniature Southern staple.
3/4 cup granulated sugar
3 tablespoons cornstarch
1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
2 large eggs
1 large egg yolk
2 cups whole milk
3 tablespoons unsalted butter, cut into 6 pieces and chilled
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
45 vanilla wafers
2 ripe bananas, peeled and sliced into 1/4-inch rounds
1 tablespoon lemon juice
24 shot glasses
1. Combine sugar, cornstarch and salt in a heavy saucepan.
2. Add eggs and egg yolk and whisk until combined.
3. Add milk and whisk until combined, about 30 seconds.
4. Cook over medium-low heat, stirring constantly until the mixture begins to thicken and bubble around the edges, about 7 minutes.
5. Remove from heat and whisk in butter one piece at a time, allowing each piece to fully incorporate before adding the next.
6. Whisk in vanilla.
7. Cover the surface of the pudding with plastic wrap and refrigerate for 2 hours.
8. Toss the banana slices with the lemon juice in a small bowl and set aside.
9. In each shot glass, carefully spread a teaspoon of pudding in the bottom. Cover with a vanilla wafer, then add a banana slice. Spoon another teaspoon of pudding on top of bananas. Repeat. Top each parfait with a vanilla wafer for garnish.
Makes 24 parfaits