Adobo Chicken Tamales Recipe
6 dried guajillo chilies
3 dried ancho chilies
6 dried arbol chilies
1 yellow onion, quartered
8 cloves garlic
2 oranges, quartered
28-ounce can whole peeled tomatoes
6-ounce can of chipotle peppers in adobo sauce
4 whole sprigs fresh oregano
1 tablespoon coriander seeds
2 whole skinless chicken breasts
1 package of dried hojas (corn husks)
2 cups masa
2 cups shredded pepper jack cheese
15-ounce can black beans
guacamole, tomatillo or salsa fresca (optional)
1. Soak hojas in water for 15-30 minutes (Image 1). Set aside.
2. Add guajillo, ancho and arbol chilies to a bowl and reconstitute in warm water for 5-10 minutes.
3. In a large pot, add reconstituted chilies, onion, garlic, oranges, whole peeled tomatoes, chipotle peppers in adobo, oregano and coriander seeds. Cover and bring to a boil on high (Image 2).
4. Add chicken, reduce heat to medium/low and simmer for 30 minutes covered. Remove chicken and shred with two forks. Once shredded, ladle 1/2 cup of remaining liquid onto chicken (Image 3).
5. In a separate bowl, mix 2 cups masa to 1 1/3 cups water; mix well. Create a small ball of masa mixture and place in the center of a hoja husk, pressing mixture flat and leaving a 1/2-inch border for wrapping (Image 4).
6. Add chicken, black beans and cheese and fold husk around mixture starting with the left and right sides (Image 5). Fold the top over last, leaving bottom of husk unfolded.
Place tamales seam side down in a steamer and steam for 45 minutes. Top with guacamole, tomatillo or salsa fresca.