Lowcountry Boil Recipe
Also known as Frogmore Stew, this simple shrimp boil is traditionally served family-style.
Yield: Makes 4 to 6 servings
- 1 (1.5-ounce) bag seafood boil seasoning or 1/3 to 1/2 cup seafood seasoning
- 1 pound red new potatoes, halved
- 2 Vidalia or sweet onions, quartered
- 3 bay leaves
- 14 to 16 ounces kielbasa or smoked sausage, thickly sliced
- 4 ears corn, husked and cut into thirds
- 2 pounds unpeeled fresh shrimp
- Serve with: French bread, lemon wedges, melted butter, additional seasoning
Fill a large stockpot [10- to 12-quart or larger] halfway with water. Add seafood seasoning and bring to a boil over high heat. Add potatoes and onions to pot; reduce heat to medium and simmer 15 minutes. Add corn and sausage; simmer 10 minutes. Add shrimp; simmer 3 minutes or until pink.
Drain and serve ingredients on newspaper or large platter with bread, melted butter, lemons, and additional seafood seasoning, if desired.