Inside the Remodel of HGTV Dream Home 2016

Find out how interior designer Brian Patrick Flynn made important design decisions on-the-fly during the HGTV Dream Home 2016 remodel.

Photo By: Flynnside Out Productions

Photo By: Flynnside Out Productions

Photo By: Flynnside Out Productions

Photo By: Flynnside Out Productions

Photo By: Flynnside Out Productions

Photo By: Flynnside Out Productions

Account for Wiggle Room

In every remodel make sure you account for wiggle room. Interior designer Brian Patrick Flynn has a rule for remodeling, which suggests only 70 percent of the overall plans will be solid while the remaining 30 percent are considered wiggle room that are subject to change. 

Messy Patching

If you're adding new junction boxes to an existing ceiling, keep in mind that there will be drywall or plaster patching, sanding and mudding involved which can be messy. Before your electrician arrives, remove any upholstered pieces or precious items from the space since the dust can potentially stain.

Complete Framing

Once framing is up, bring painter's tape to map out intended furniture and ensure it will fit as designated on paper.

Final Color Check

Always do a final color check after walls have been insulated and sheetrock is installed because the yellow coloring of pine used for framing can alter how colors read. 

Stairwell Demolition

Anytime you're replacing stairwell railing, leave the numbers up to your contractor since millwork is precise and configured down to the one-sixteenth of an inch measurement.

Close to Completion

Homeowners frustrated with the mess and inconvenience of remodeling should know that once the insulation of their walls begin, the rest of the project will move forward quickly. Drywall is hung after walls are insulated. Of all tasks, drywall hanging, taping and mudding is one of the speediest.