How to Sew a V-Shaped Banner Valance
See how easy it is to sew a V-shaped banner valance to add softness and color to a window. Follow these step-by-step instructions.
Materials and Tools:
beaded clips (K-C Crazy Clips), beaded finials on curtain rod (K-PRP/GRN Finial w/ Tassel, PR) (Bombay Kids)
paper or poster board
1. Draw a template half the size of the desired finished valance onto paper or poster board and cut it out.
2. Fuse interfacing to the silk fabric according to the manufacturer's instructions to give it some body. Lay the fabric face down and fold it in half with right sides together. Trace the template, lining it up to the folded edge and cut shape out. Repeat the tracing step with the lining.
3. Pin the two pieces together with right sides together and stitch all the way around, leaving about a 10-inch opening at the top for turning. Tip: In order to make a crisp point, stitch down to the point; sew one stitch across the point area, and then stitch up the other side.
4. Turn the valance right side out and iron it flat. Stitch or serge the opening closed. To keep the edges crisp, stitch as closely to the edge as possible with matching thread.
5. Fold and stitch the rod pocket in place and clip the beads to the point.