Updating a Retro-Style Chandelier
Materials and Tools:
Dremel tool with a metal-cutting bit (small motorized rotary tool)
blue painter’s tape or masking tape
decorative metal orb
spray paint (we used Rust-Oleum brand #7793 Shell White in satin-classic, low-sheen finish)
12-foot chain link
1. Tape off the center portion of the top of the decorative metal orb so that the socket of the light kit can be traced.
2. Using a Dremel tool, cut a circle out of the top of the decorative orb large enough to fit around the socket of the light kit.
3. Spray paint the decorative orb and the chain link. Let dry completely.
4. Place the light kit into the hole on the top of the orb so that the socket end of the kit is snug against the edge of the opening.
5. Once in tact, screw a bulb into the socket.
6. With needle-nose pliers, pierce the plastic fitting around the cord and open one link of chain to run through the piercing. Then crimp the link back together. Finish by weaving the cord in and out of the links all the way to the end.
7. Insert a ceiling hook into the ceiling until all the grooves are threaded through. Try to attach the hook to a ceiling joist.
8. Hang the fixture.