Sandwiched Botanical Wall Hanging
Make wonderful wall hangings by pressing dried flowers between glass.
Project by Brigid Greene of Mission, Kan.
Brigid loves plants, but has a tough time growing anything on her second-story porch. She makes up for it by pressing dried botanicals and mounting them in books and other projects. In this project, Brigid presses dried flowers between sheets of glass to make a natural wall hanging.
Materials and Tools:
8" x 10" pre-cut UV filtering glass
phone book (to press herbs, plants)
dried and pressed botanicals
acid-free card stock
pre-cut acid-free mat board
dish for glue
moist cheese cloth for glue clean up
1. Cut paper for mounting plants.
2. Select leaf or plant from press. Decide where it goes on the paper and mark with marking tape.
3. Paint underside of leaf and adhere to paper.
4. Glue mat frame into position. Press with phone book and parchment paper and set aside.
5. Mark location for botanical. Paint spot of glue for botanical and adhere. Press with phone book, allow to dry, set aside.
6. Cut twine. Use twine to join two pieces of glass, making knots on the backside of each corner.
7. Make loop for hanging. Cut long piece of twine that is still workable and begin weaving twine around edges.
Use Nail Polish to Create Marbled Votives
This simple and quick technique will have you wanting to marble everything you own! Combine a few drops of nail polish with water to create these colorful candleholders, just in time for your summer celebrations.
How to Make a Ceramic Garden Sculpture
Sculpt facial features and flowers from clay to create a whimsical work of garden art.
Tea-Stained Lace Curtains
Revitalizing old or discolored lace curtains with a tea stain gives them an appealing antique look.
Expressive Box Wall Hanging
Marie Weichman embellishes this clay box wall hanging with objects that reflect her creativity.
How to Make a Lollipop Garden Sculpture
Recycle plastic lids to make this whimsical piece of outdoor art.
Mosaic and Foam Memory Quilt
Not a quilter? No problem! This memory quilt uses a foam base and mosaic tiles to create a quilt that's sewing free.
How to Make an Etched Ceramic Vase
Etch a creative design in a ceramic vase to match any style room.
How to Make a 3-D Ceramic Art Block
Create a 3-D ceramic art block to hang on your wall using under glazes and a silkscreen design.
Make a Fun Zipper Fruit Bowl
Put utilitarian zippers to a new, creative use by gluing them around wooden forms such as a bowl and fruit.
Modern Decorative Wall Plates
Create a wall-mounted work of art with vintage plates that feature a favorite quote.
Sign up for the HGTV Inspiration Newsletter.
We're serving up the latest news, gorgeous style, crafty DIY projects, clever entertaining tips and more. Consider these your design digests.