Easy Chair Covers
Try these tips for dressing up dining room chairs for parties or just for kicks.
Give ordinary dining-room chairs a whole new look with easy-to-make chair covers made from leftover fabrics, pillowcases and even T-shirts.
Here’s a plan for making a no-sew chair cover:
Materials and Tools:
1. Measure the back of the chair, from the top of the chair to just short of the floor.
2. Measure the front, starting at the top and going down to the seat cushion and then measuring along the seat and down to the floor.
3. Add all measurements together, allowing 1 1/2 inches for seam allowance. Measure the width of the chair, and cut a piece of fabric to the specifications you’ve come up with.
4. Make hems on the edges of the cover by turning the edges of the fabric under and securing with fabric glue.
5. Glue a piece of ribbon onto the slipcover.
6. Position the cover and secure to the chair with the ribbons.
- Slip large pillowcases over the backs of chairs to make instant slipcovers.
- T-shirts work great as chair covers for an informal dinner party. Use a variety of colored T-shirts to cover stackable or folding chairs and create a fun atmosphere for a garden party.
- Using a strip of satin, tie a decorative bow in the middle and slip over the back of a chair. This is a beautiful way to adorn chairs for a wedding party.
- Use a loose chair cushion to add a new look to an old chair. A thick cushion also makes a useful booster chair for small children.
Check out these tips for keeping your furniture environmentally-friendly by recycling, reclaiming and refinishing.
Make a Reverse-Painted Tabletop
This decorative tabletop/wine bar calls for both technique and imagination. Learn how to make a tabletop with the reverse-painting technique.
How to Turn a Dresser Into a Media Console
Turning a dresser into a media console that looks just as sleek at the flat screen above it is easy. Just follow these step-by-step instructions.
Build an Entertainment Center in One Day
Carter builds a semi-recessed entertainment center for a family room.
How To: Building A Recessed Home for Flat-Screen TV
Solve the problem of where to put the TV with a recessed niche.
How to Make a Homemade Lamp
Can't find that perfect lamp? Follow these instructions to make your own lamp.
How to Make a Mica Hurricane Candleholder
These candleholders make great gifts for family and friends.
Outdoor Furniture Options and Ideas
Discover new options and ideas in furniture for your outdoor space.
Hand Paint a Flowery Silk Scarf
Make a one-of-a-kind silk scarf with painted flowers in bright red, pink and orange.
Framing Botanical Prints
Add a touch of nature to your walls by framing botanicals. Follow these step-by-step instructions.
Sign up for the HGTV Inspiration Newsletter.
We're serving up the latest news, gorgeous style, crafty DIY projects, clever entertaining tips and more. Consider these your design digests.