Wood Column Wrapped With Shelves
A plain basement column is jazzed up with two-tone wood and rows of tiny shelves.
Tools and Materials:
finish nail gun and nails
stain, paintbrushes and rags
wood putty to match the stain
tape measure and pencil
3/4” birch plywood
1. Stain the birch plywood and the pieces of poplar. Apply the stain with the brush and wipe with the rags in the direction of the grain. Stain all sides of the poplar and only one side of the plywood. We stained our plywood with white stain and the poplar in a contrasting dark-walnut color.
2. Measure the column and miter cut the plywood to fit.
3. Align the four pieces of mitered cut plywood on the column and shoot the boards into place with a nail gun.
4. Determine how many shelves you want wrapped around the column. Using a tape measure and pencil, mark out the lines where you want to position the shelves. We spaced ours about four inches apart.
5. Cut down the 1x2 poplar on the miter saw to the appropriate length with a 45 degree miter cut at each end. Make sure all the pieces fit together snugly.
6. Fit the shelves in place by nailing through the edges into the column, also be sure to attach each piece to each other. Use a level as you go to make sure everything is aligned.
7. When all the pieces are secure, fill in any gaps or nail holes with wood putty that matches the color of your stain.
8. Sand with fine-grit sandpaper to remove any excess or rough patches.
Build a Foldout Desk and Craft Table
This easy-to-make desk is the perfect storage solution for a tiny office or playroom.
How to Build Floating Shelves with Accent Timber
A recessed niche is dressed up with exotic-style wood shelves.
Building a Floor-to-Ceiling Shelving Unit
An unused corner in a dining room is turned into storage for dishes and glassware.
Built-In Bench With Butcher-Block Top
An empty niche is filled with an easy-to-make wooden bench.
How to Create a Wooden Woven Wall
The woven timber canopy turns a plain bedroom into an African-inspired escape.
Fold-Away Desk Made From a Salvaged Door
An old door is repurposed into a space-saving, desk that folds up against a wall.
Installing a Laminate Wood Ceiling
Easy-to-install, tongue-and-groove planks add architectural interest to a vaulted ceiling.
Swinging Doors Adorned with a Wooden Butterfly
Decorate your children's space with easy-to-make wooden artwork.
How to Build a Bar with a Butcher-Block Countertop
The Rip and Renew crew uses basic construction to make a cottage-style bar with a butcher block countertop.
Window Bench with Recycled Molding
A custom window bench is crafted for a Victorian dining room.
Sign up for the HGTV Inspiration Newsletter.
We're serving up the latest news, gorgeous style, crafty DIY projects, clever entertaining tips and more. Consider these your design digests.