Weekend Projects: Frame an Outside Entry With Porch Columns
Make your front entry grand by adding pilasters and molding around your door. It'll take less than a weekend and cost less than $100 in materials.
Tools and Materials:
chop saw or miter saw
nail gun and nails
3/4” birch plywood
skinny detail molding
1. Using a circular saw, cut out a strip of the siding on either side of the door the width you want the pilasters to be.
2. To build the pilasters, cut the plywood to the desired height. Cut both sides of the front piece at a 45-degree angle and only one side of the two side pieces of the pilaster. Make sure the three pieces fit together snugly and is tall enough for your door. Repeat process for the second pilaster.
3. If you’re not staining the wood, apply a coat of primer. This will help to protect the wood from moisture.
4. Assemble both pilasters. Use plenty of wood glue to seal the joint properly.
5. Paint or stain the pilasters.
6. Nail the pilasters into the trenches cut into the siding.
7. Attach dentil molding to the top of the pilasters and across the door frame using wood glue and a nail gun.
8. Attach baseboard to the bottom of each of the pilasters.
9. To tie ours in with the door, we also added small pieces of molding in a rectangular shape to the face of the pilasters.
How to Make a Contemporary Garden Gazing Ball
Add sparkle to your planting beds with a gazing ball. All it takes is an old bowling ball, some glue and your choice of decorative pieces.
How to Make a Window Box Container Garden
Create a beautiful window box that will beautify the outside of your home and add an outdoor touch through the windows from the interior of a house.
Design Budgeting 101: Outdoor Rooms
Professional designers know how to stretch a buck. Joan Grabel and Katie Z. Leavy share some of their best ideas for decorating an outdoor space for less.
Budget-Friendly Flower Arrangements
These clever tips will help you cut the cost of creating a beautiful flower arrangement.
How to Make a Mirror Garland for the Garden
Create a dancing light show in your garden with these pretty DIY mirror garlands.
How to Make a Colorful Birdbath
Even when the birds aren't dipping, sipping and sunning, this easy-to-make, easy-to-clean birdbath is plenty festive in the garden.
Yard Sale Furniture Repurposed: Filing Cabinet
HGTV Magazine gives the simple how-tos of transforming a dingy filing cabinet into a chic office organizer.
How to Make an Encaustic Tea Bag Wall Hanging
Make an eye-catching wall collage with encaustic color, metals, pigment and dried tea bags.
Build a Hanging Pot Rack
A hanging pot rack adds storage space and looks great.
Designing a Satin Upholstered Wall
This DIY project helps you put fabric on the wall for a luxe look.
We're serving up the latest news, gorgeous style, crafty DIY projects, clever entertaining tips and more. Consider these your design digests.