Weekend Projects: Build Faux Columns and Archways
Tools and Materials:
3/4” birch plywood
primer and paint
roller and paintbrush
nail gun and nails
screw gun and wood screws
putty and caulk
crow bar and utility knife
1. If there is door casing around the entry, remove it carefully with a crow bar and utility knife, you may be able to reuse it elsewhere in your home.
2. Cut the plywood for the columns to the desired lengths, cut the attaching corners at 45-degree angles. You do not need a back piece, only two sides and a face piece. Use wood glue and nails to attach the three pieces of the column making sure they fit snugly together.
3. Attach a few pieces of scrap wood across the back of the column to give it a little bit more stability.
4. Attach a small block of wood to the wall to serve as a cleat that the column can be nailed to. The block needs to be small enough so that it will be covered by the column. Make sure you are screwing the block into a wall stud.
5. Attach the columns to the block, wall and other columns with the screw gun and wood screws.
6. Apply a coat of primer to the columns and seal the joints with caulk.
7. Paint the columns and allow them to dry completely.
8. Use a nail gun to fasten molding to the face of the columns to add stylistic detail to the room.
9. Fill in all the nail holes with putty and touch up with paint.