Weekend Project: How to Hang Picture Railing
Looking for a new way to hang your artwork? Try picture rail. It takes less than a weekend to install and costs less than $100 in materials.
Materials and Tools:
handsaw with miter box or electric chop saw
nail gun and nails
ribbon/wire/chain for hanging pictures
1. Determine where you want to position your picture rail on the wall. Traditionally, picture rail is hung 66 inches above the floor, but we’ve decided to install ours the same height of the door frames due to our expansive ceiling height.
2. Measure the walls then miter cut the molding to length.
3. Paint or stain the picture rail and let it dry completely.
4. Use a laser level to make a straight line at your ideal height. This line will show you exactly where to hang your picture rail and will ensure that your rail is perfectly straight.
5. Glue the back of the picture rail and then place the rail along the laser line. Use a nail gun to secure the rail into place.
6. Attach hooks to the top of the railing to hang your artwork.
Tip: Keep artwork and frames a similar size for a symmetrical look. For a modern, sleek look, use clear fishing wire to hang artwork. Metal chain or wire will provide an industrial vibe while ribbon will give you a traditional look.