Wall Paneling with Fluted Molding
Add dimension to any room with wall panels framed in elegant fluted molding.
Tools and Materials:
table saw or circular saw
finish nail gun and nails
paintbrush and roller
level or laser level
3/4” 4 x8’ medium-density fiberboard (MDF)
primer and paint
1. Cut the MDF to the size of the wall you wish to cover. Layout your grid pattern and determine your cut list. Our grid has equally spaced squares.
2. Cut the molding to size. The pieces will butt-joint, so make sure the ends are cut straight and clean.
3. Prime and paint the MDF and molding. MDF is very porous, so more than one coat may be necessary.
4. Nail the MDF to the wall studs, double checking that the panels are level before you nail. Try to nail around the edges of the MDF, so most of your nail holes will be covered by the molding. Wall studs should be spaced every 16 inches and can be located with a stud finder.
5. Nail the fluted molding over the seams of the MDF. Place the nails on the edges of the fluted molding, not in the curved grooves.
6. Touch up nail holes with caulk.
Creating Wood Columns in a Doorway
An opening between a kitchen and dining room is made classy with the addition of columns.
Window Bench with Recycled Molding
A custom window bench is crafted for a Victorian dining room.
Double-Layer Crown Molding
Wood trim highlights a vaulted ceiling with double skylights.
Sliding Shoji Screen Doors
A recessed entertainment center is concealed with rice-paper-paneled doors.
Installing a Laminate Wood Ceiling
Easy-to-install, tongue-and-groove planks add architectural interest to a vaulted ceiling.
Swinging Doors Adorned with a Wooden Butterfly
Decorate your children's space with easy-to-make wooden artwork.
How to Build a Bar with a Butcher-Block Countertop
The Rip and Renew crew uses basic construction to make a cottage-style bar with a butcher block countertop.
Built-In Bench With Butcher-Block Top
An empty niche is filled with an easy-to-make wooden bench.
Fold-Away Desk Made From a Salvaged Door
An old door is repurposed into a space-saving, desk that folds up against a wall.
How to Build Floating Shelves with Accent Timber
A recessed niche is dressed up with exotic-style wood shelves.
We're serving up the latest news, gorgeous style, crafty DIY projects, clever entertaining tips and more. Consider these your design digests.