Replace a Vintage Stairway Baluster
Follow these step-by-step instructions on how to carve a baluster for a stairway.
Home repair expert Henry Harrison shows a guest how to use a lathe to carve a replacement spindle (or baluster) for the front porch of his historic home. On his elbow grease scale of one to four, Harrison gives this job a three.
various lathe carving tools
1. Remove a good spindle and trace the contours onto poster board to make a template.
2. Put a block of square wood into the lathe and practice using the gouge and sizing tools. Make sure to always wear a face shield when using the lathe.
3. Next insert the block of wood you'll use to carve the replacement spindle. Hold the good spindle next to the wood and mark points where the contour changes.
4. Line up the tool rest with first cut, lock it down and make cuts at each end where the contours start. Use the sizing tool to carve out grooves at each end.
5. Now use the gouge and to start creating the center taper. Use calipers to carve contours similar to the ones on the original spindle. Stop frequently and compare the original with your new spindle.
6. Set the lathe on medium and hold a piece of sandpaper by the edges while running it up and down the spinning wood to smooth out the spindle.
7. Take the poster board template and see how close you came to duplicating the original pattern. Continue carving if necessary.
8. If you're satisfied with your masterpiece, remove from the lathe and see how it fits. Prime and paint the new spindle before installing permanently.
Creative Landscaping Ideas
These mix-and-match landscape designs spark nontraditional creative ideas for your outdoor grass and garden spaces.
A Restaurant-Style Kitchen at Home
Modeled after French bistros and favorite neighborhood joints, this kitchen makes dinner at home feel as special as a night on the town. Take a look around with HGTV Magazine.
Old-World Kitchen Charm
Designer Karen Kettler explains how she transformed a builder-grade kitchen into a graceful, architectural showstopper.
Soaking in Luxury: Master Bath Flip
With sensuous finishes and custom cabinetry, designer Kerry Fidler remodels a master bath to be as utilitarian as it is indulgent.
Lively Master Bathroom
Designer Cheryl Kees Clendenon creates a youthful master bath designed for aging homeowners.
Remodel Your Kitchen with a Breakfast Bar
Learn how to remodel your kitchen by transforming a well between the kitchen and dining room into an open breakfast bar.
How to Build an Outdoor Pizza Oven
Add a wood-fire pizza oven to your outdoor kitchen. Learn how to create the base and install it with our step-by-step DIY guide.
Candice's Design Tips: The Final Challenge
Antonio and Dan go head-to-head in the biggest Design Star challenge yet: making over a deserving family's entire home. See what Candice says they did right, did wrong and how she could have done it better.
Ideas for Sculpting Turf
Learn how to take your lawn up a notch with these beautiful ideas for sculpting and reshaping your grass and garden spaces.
How to Properly Paint Your Home's Exterior
Give your house a fresh, updated look with exterior paint.
Sign up for the HGTV Inspiration Newsletter.
We're serving up the latest news, gorgeous style, crafty DIY projects, clever entertaining tips and more. Consider these your design digests.