Make a Room Feel Bigger by Tearing Down a Half Wall
Taking down a half wall is an easy way to create more open space.
Want more space in your favorite room? Take down a half wall with these easy steps.
Materials and Tools:
old-time nail puller
1. Put on safety glasses and work gloves, and then cut around the seam of the wall where it connects to the side wall. This cuts through the drywall tape, making for a neater repair.
2. Use pry bars to remove the trim.
3. The nails in the top plate will probably be pretty tough. An old-time nail puller is the best way to remove stubborn nails.
4. Next, go to work with the reciprocating saw. Cut through the top plate on either side of a vertical support stud. Remove the chunk of the 2-by-4 top plate and use a pry bar to remove the two sections of the top plate.
5. Cut along the base of the wall, horizontally, with the reciprocating saw. Once done, have a friend help you lift and remove the wall.
6. Pry the base plate from the floor using a crowbar.
7. Vacuum up the mess using the shop vacuum.
8. Smooth the edges of the cutout area on your permanent wall a drywall rasp.
9. Cut and install a patch using a power drill and drywall screws. Cover the joints of the patch with drywall tape.
10. Throw some drywall mud in a mud bucket and cover up the area using a drywall knife.
Demolition: Removing Walls
Follow these guidelines for a safe takedown.
Astronomical Wall Clock
Dale Mathis creates an astronomical wall clock.
How to Paint Stripes on Your Walls
Let stripes dress up the look of your room. All you need is tape, paint and a little creativity.
Expanding a Window to a Door
Add an extra opening to your home by converting a window to a door.
How to Kill Mold
Killing mold is a dirty job, but the right tools can help you wipe it out for good. Check out these tips for using the best cleaners to solve your fungus problem.
How to Safely Remove Kitchen Cabinets
Learn how to safely remove your old cabinetry to get ready for your new kitchen remodel.
How to Dress up a Wall With Fluted Columns
Carter Oosterhouse jazzes up a plain wall with elegant columns.
Ukulele Wall Hanging
This retro ukulele wall hanging is made with aquarium gravel.
How to Make a Steel Lily Wall Sconce
Weld and sculpt a steel lily to hang on your wall for instant industrial, modern style.
How to Decorate Kitchen Walls
Get information and ideas on how to decorate kitchen walls, and prepare to add some serious style to your kitchen space.
Found a living space you love in HGTV's Photo Library? Get the look in your own home with products from Wayfair.
We're serving up the latest news, gorgeous style, crafty DIY projects, clever entertaining tips and more. Consider these your design digests.