Light Fixtures 101
Nothing affects both the mood and the function of a room quite like lighting does, so consider these 6 tips when deciding what fixtures to buy.
- Bedroom lighting should be applied in layers, since it's a multifunctional room. Task lighting for reading and dressing are extremely important.
- A pendant lamp in a reading area is an interesting alternative to the more common table lamp.
- Recessed lighting tends to have a more contemporary look. Alternatives include lamps, art lighting and sconces.
- Wall sconces provide soothing indirect light and provide dramatic effects on walls. A sconce can be used as a point of interest on a wall or provide light in the upper reaches of a room where the lighting is dim.
- A rich, beautiful chandelier is a good way to add importance to a space. It provides excellent down light and ambient lighting.
- The most important function of lighting in the bath is to provide shadow-free light for ease in personal grooming. This is best done with side lights around the mirror rather than down lights, which produce pronounced shadows.
Faux Capiz Shell Pendant
Beautiful capiz shell pendants add romance, interest and natural beauty to any room. With this DIY tutorial, you can make a capiz pendant to any size using basic household supplies.
How-to: Rope-Wrapped Chandelier
The DIY experts at HGTV Magazine recreated this flea market find. Here’s how you can, too.
Designing a Home Lighting Plan
We'll show you the basics, including design ideas, product tips and lighting choices.
Light Fixture Enclosure
Disguise an existing light fixture by building a fabric-covered enclosure for it.
Easy Under-Cabinet Kitchen Lighting
Highlight beautiful countertops and brighten dark spaces by adding under-cabinet lighting to your kitchen. With these simple, step-by-step instructions, anyone can install under-cabinet lighting without an electrician.
Beading a Chandelier
Create a bedazzling overhead light by beading a chandelier.
Change a Bulb, Change the World, Save Some Green
Installing energy-saving fluorescent bulbs will not only help save the planet, it will help save your budget.
Funky Cool Blue Chandelier
From the pages of HGTV Magazine, Hilary Farr of Love It or List It tells you how to remix this old item with a little more than paint.
The Helpful Guide to Holiday Lights
If your lights could talk they’d share these bright ideas for maximizing twinkle and decorating safely.
Replacing a Fluorescent Light Fixture
Let there be a new light with these step-by-step instructions.
Sign up for the HGTV Inspiration Newsletter.
We're serving up the latest news, gorgeous style, crafty DIY projects, clever entertaining tips and more. Consider these your design digests.