Light Fixtures 101
Nothing affects both the mood and the function of a room quite like lighting does, so consider these 6 tips when deciding what fixtures to buy.
- Bedroom lighting should be applied in layers, since it's a multifunctional room. Task lighting for reading and dressing are extremely important.
- A pendant lamp in a reading area is an interesting alternative to the more common table lamp.
- Recessed lighting tends to have a more contemporary look. Alternatives include lamps, art lighting and sconces.
- Wall sconces provide soothing indirect light and provide dramatic effects on walls. A sconce can be used as a point of interest on a wall or provide light in the upper reaches of a room where the lighting is dim.
- A rich, beautiful chandelier is a good way to add importance to a space. It provides excellent down light and ambient lighting.
- The most important function of lighting in the bath is to provide shadow-free light for ease in personal grooming. This is best done with side lights around the mirror rather than down lights, which produce pronounced shadows.
Disguise an existing light fixture by building a fabric-covered enclosure for it.
Let there be a new light with these step-by-step instructions.
Whether you choose a valance or pendant, there's a fixture for every need in your home
Get tips on how to pick the right sink, shower, tub and toilet for your remodel
Learn to choose a shower, tub, faucet, sink and toilet that fits your design and your budget
There are many customization options for closet systems that can be a perfect fit for your home and lifestyle.
Not exactly sure what Tuscan style is? Get all the design details here.