Install an Electric Fireplace With Custom-Built Mantel and Hearth
Add instant warmth to your home by installing an electric fireplace. Then build a mantel on top and hearth with storage underneath.
Tools and Materials:
finish nail gun with finish nai and anchor nails
edge banding and an iron (for applying edge banding)
paint rollers, paintbrushes and pans
tape measure and level
paint and primer
1. Measure the area where you will be installing the electric fireplace. Follow the manufacturer’s recommendation for space requirements.
2. Determine the size of your mantle and hearth/storage unit and create a cut list. Our mantle is more of a floating shelf and our hearth is like a bench with storage cubbies.
3. On a table saw, cut the needed birch plywood. Use wood glue and a finish nailer to assemble the pieces. Apply edge banding or wood trim to the seams and rough edges.
4. Prime and paint or stain all the pieces.
5. Use a cleat system to secure the mantle to the wall. To make the cleat, cut two long strips of plywood at least three inches wide. Cut a 45-degree angle lengthwise on one edge of each piece. Make sure both pieces interlock at the angle. Measure both the mantel and the wall cleat to verify it will attach and hang at the proper height. Attach the first piece of the cleat to the wall with the bevel on the top facing the wall. Be sure to use the proper fasteners for your surface you’re attaching to and use a level to check evenness. Attach the other piece of the cleat to the back of the mantel with the bevel facing down and out. Slide the mantel piece onto the wall cleat.
6. Consult the manufacturer’s instructions as to how to properly hang the electric fireplace.
7. Place the hearth/storage unit under the fireplace.
Installing Fiberglass Batt Insulation
Use these tips and techniques to ensure proper installation of fiberglass insulation.
Finding the Source of a Window Leak
Here are some tips on keeping windows watertight.
How to do a Door-to-Window Conversion
Got a door that gets little usage? Why not turn it into a window?
How to Install a Tin and Beam Ceiling
An old ceiling is restored with new beams and tin tiles.
Easy Storage Guidelines
Develop rules and go step by step so storage decisions don't seem overwhelming.
How to Store Cleaning Supplies
Let’s face it: Cleaning isn't most people’s idea of fun. But there’s also no reason to make it harder than it has to be. Take some of the pain out of household chores with these tips for keeping cleaning supplies sorted and at the ready.
Dramatic Striped Ceiling Update
The ceiling is a room's fifth wall. Give this often overlooked area a big dose of personality with an easier-than-it-looks graphic paint treatment.
How to Make a Guitar Rack
Save space and display your prized instruments with these step-by-step instructions.
Roofing Component Basics
Roofing terminology can be a bit overwhelming. These basic roofing definitions will help get your project off on the right foot.
Fix a Door That Won't Stay Shut
Fix a door that won't stay shut with these step-by-step instructions.
We're serving up the latest news, gorgeous style, crafty DIY projects, clever entertaining tips and more. Consider these your design digests.