How to Turn a Collection of Plates Into Collage Wall Art
A set of dishes is spray painted then hung on the wall to create three-dimensional artwork.
Materials and Tools:
fifteen-piece dish set (They should be same pattern but can be any combination of dinner plates, salad plates and bowls. We used clear dishes with a translucent pattern.)
one can of red spray paint
one can of mirrored spray paint
one can of white spray paint
two rolls of super heavy-duty foam mounting tape
1. Turn all the dishes upside down and place three to four strips of tape on the back of each. The directions on the tape roll will tell you how much to use based on the weight of your dishes.
2. Spray the back of each dish with the mirrored spray paint, covering the entire surface. Let dry.
3. Spray the white spray paint on the perimeter of each dish, creating a border around the rim. Let dry.
4. Flip all the dishes over and spray white paint on the perimeter of each front. Let dry.
5. Spray red paint into the center of each dish. Let dry.
6. Stick each dish to the wall in your desired pattern, pressing firmly on the center of each plate and bowl to ensure the tape is adhering to the wall.
Turn an Old Door into a Coat Rack
A salvaged door, fabric and small mirrors come together to create a stylish foyer fixture.
Build a Movable Butcher-Block Kitchen Table/Island
Stock cabinetry, store-bought butcher block and staircase posts come together to create a multipurpose table and work space.
Build Tall Storage Shelves Step-By-Step
Carter Oosterhouse builds a wall of storage in a small dining room.
Cherry-Tree Patterned Closet Doors
Turn basic closet doors into works of art by adding a large custom design.
How to Build a Vertical Pull-Out Cabinet
A tall, thin pull-out cabinet makes a clever storage solution for a narrow gap next to the fridge.
Framed Tin-Tiled Ceiling
Tin tiles are framed in reclaimed oak to give a ceiling a recessed look.
Q&A With Carter Oosterhouse
America's handyman, Carter Oosterhouse talks about his favorite tools, TV shows and and his reasons for building green.
How to Build Rolling Pool Table Covers
See how to build rolling tables to fit over a standard billiard table. They will protect your billiard table and can serve as a buffet at your next party.
How to Build Bookshelves for a Recessed Nook
Carter Oosterhouse turns an empty niche above a closet into practical storage.
Build a Coffee Table to Fit Over Storage Ottomans
A custom coffee table with a marble inset is made to slide over a set of cushioned ottomans.
We're serving up the latest news, gorgeous style, crafty DIY projects, clever entertaining tips and more. Consider these your design digests.