How to Patch Wallpaper
Make a seamless fix with these step-by-step instructions.
If wall speakers have been removed and left you with holes in your wallpaper, hide the evidence with a patch made from leftover paper. Here's how to do it:
Materials and Tools:
1. If necessary, remove any cover plates in the area to be patched.
2. Position a piece of matching wallpaper against the section of wall where wallpaper is missing, match up the pattern and secure it temporarily with painter's tape.
3. If the area borders woodwork, press the paper into the seams of the woodwork with a triangle for a tight fit, and cut the paper with a sharp razor. You may need to make two patches to get the patterns lined up on both sides.
4. When everything's lined up, cut the patch to fit with a triangle and the utility knife.
5. Tape all the seams down with painter's tape.
6. If the patch is larger than the original hole, remove the wallpaper beneath the patch with wallpaper remover and a putty knife. Score the old paper with your utility knife so the remover soaks in. Wear eye protection and rubber gloves while removing paper.
7. Clean up the wall with a damp sponge. Fill in any holes with spackle.
8. If your paper doesn't contain adhesive, spread an even layer of paste over the back of your patch. Work from the center to the edge, and then fold each piece in half without creasing and let the paper absorb the paste for about five minutes.
9. Position the paper on the wall, being sure to match up the patterns. Smooth it out with a smoothing brush.
10. Use a seam roller to get a tight seam.
11. To reveal a utility box, cut an "X" into the paper over the box and fold the flaps back. Reattach the cover plate.
How to Paint a Glass Fish Bowl
Use stained glass paint to make a fish-themed candleholder.
How to Remove Wallpaper
How do you remove the wallpaper without damaging the wall – or yourself? Use these tips to help you decide which option will work best.
Learn how using mildew retardant paint can help prevent mildew in your home.
How to Hand Carve Decorative Tile
Carve your own design into a clay tile and color glaze it with these simple steps.
How to Paint Decorative Tile
Use tile as a canvas for painting any design you desire.
Caring for Leather Furniture
Get the most out of your leather furniture with these 5 maintenance tips.
How to Fix a Squeaky Floor
Keep it quiet with these troubleshooting tips.
How to Make a Hand-Painted Glass Candle Bowl
Make a glass candle bowl into a beautiful, stylish centerpiece with these simple steps.
Etched Wine Bottle Cheese Tray
Flatten an ordinary bottle and sandblast it into this beautifully etched cheese tray.
Molded Glass Candy Bowl
Ann Hammer says she is addicted to "playing with glass." In this project, she makes a molded "chocolate mint" bowl.
We're serving up the latest news, gorgeous style, crafty DIY projects, clever entertaining tips and more. Consider these your design digests.