How to Paint a Floor Covering
Want to surround yourself with art? Don't forget about the floor. Follow these step-by-step instructions on how to paint a floor covering.
If you want your art to be seen, why not put it in a high-traffic area? Here's a project for getting creative with a floor covering.
Materials and Tools:
4-by-4-foot canvas (weighing 11 to 14.7 ounces)
plastic for wall
pushpins or tacks
acrylic paint: white, rust, brown, yellow, purple, green, blue
1. Tack a piece of plastic to a wall to prevent the paint from seeping through the canvas and sticking to the wall. Stretch a piece of 4-by-4-foot canvas onto the wall over the plastic. Place a tack or pushpin in the center top of the canvas. Pull the canvas straight down until it's taut, and secure with a pushpin.
2. Place a tack or pushpin in the center of one side. Pull the canvas over to the other side till it's taut. Place a pushpin in the center of the opposite side. Go back to the top and pull up and out to the corner. Repeat on all other corners. Stretch the canvas to make sure there are no wrinkles.
3. Apply black gesso to the canvas with a 4-inch paintbrush. The gesso can be thinned a little with water. Let dry for about four hours.
4. Remove the cloth from the wall. Cut the edges about 1 to 2 inches wider than the desired hem. Snip the four corners at a diagonal angle 1 inch from the outside edge.
5. Fold the corners in just a tiny bit, but do not glue them. Fold the hem edges to the back.
6. Hot-glue the hem to the back. Wipe away excess glue with a cotton rag.
7. Place the floor cloth right side up on a flat surface. Draw the sketch of the design on the floor cloth with white acrylic paint.
8. Squeeze acrylic paint colors onto a paint palette and paint the design with a 1-inch paintbrush. Let dry.
9. Paint border details around the sides of the floor cloth. Let dry.
10. Apply polyurethane to the front of the painted floor cloth and let dry. Apply polyurethane to the back of the floor cloth and let dry.
How to Paint a Diamond Pattern on a Wood Floor
Add a stylish touch to a room by painting a diamond pattern onto a wood floor.
Choosing Wall Colors and Wall Paint Tips
Find tips for choosing the right wall colors and wall paint from the experts at HGTV.com.
Painting a Faux Area Rug
Jazz up a plain concrete or wood floor by painting a geometric pattern that looks like an area rug.
How To Pick Your Perfect Colors
Answer these five questions to find a color scheme right for you.
How to Powder Stencil a Wooden Frame
Learn how to stencil with bronze powder to create an antique-inspired decorative frame.
Paint Technique: Venetian Plaster Instructions
New and old walls benefit from the beauty of a Venetian plaster paint technique. Learn how to use this paint technique with these instructions.
Walls That Shine
A color-on-color effect can be created in various ways, each producing a different look. These techniques require two wall paints -- satin and semi-gloss finishes -- in the same color.
How to Paint an Antique Finish on Walls
Learn how to apply this faux technique with these step-by-step instructions.
Crackle Paint Technique
Create cracks in paint to reveal the color underneath with these step-by-step instructions.
How to Dress Up a Dresser
Learn how to transform a dull dresser into a showpiece.
Found a living space you love in HGTV's Photo Library? Get the look in your own home with products from Wayfair.
Photo Friday: Cooking and Dining in the Great Outdoors
HGTV Design Blog – Design Happens Aug 28, 2015 by Beth Rucker
This or That: Pick Your Favorite Vintage Find From Fixer Upper
HGTV Design Blog – Design Happens Aug 27, 2015 by Farima Alavi
6 Essentials for the Perfect Tailgate Party + Win the 1 Thing You Really Need
HGTV Design Blog – Design Happens Aug 25, 2015 by Farima Alavi
Discover the Winning Hue in Our Color Vs. Color Competition!
HGTV Design Blog – Design Happens Aug 24, 2015 by Kayla Kitts
Copy This Room: Get Beach Flip Style in Your Living Room
HGTV Design Blog – Design Happens Aug 24, 2015 by Shannon Petrie
4 Ways to Personalize Your Dorm Desk + College Goodie Giveaway!
HGTV Design Blog – Design Happens Aug 21, 2015 by Farima Alavi
The Easiest (and Cutest!) DIY Dorm Roommate Mugs Ever
HGTV Design Blog – Design Happens Aug 20, 2015 by Marianne Canada