How To: Installing a Floating Shelf with Recessed Lighting
Add architectural style and extra recessed lighting with this striking shelf.
Materials and Tools:
10 sheets of 3/4-inch birch plywood
84' of 1x8 cherry (or enough to go around the perimeter of the room)
ten 2x4x8 Douglas Fir boards (or enough to go around the perimeter of the room)
pneumatic nail gun
screws and nails
1. Take measurements of the room. Measure from ceiling and use the laser level to determine where the shelf will go.
2. Measure and cut 2x4s to length to fit the wall. Use the nail gun to affix the 2x4s to the studs in the wall.
3. Measure and cut 5" strips of birch plywood for the top and bottom of the shelf. Paint the top and bottom sections of plywood to match the wall color, and let them dry. Nail the plywood pieces to the top to the 2x4s around the room. Repeat with the bottom. Screw the birch plywood sections into place.
4. Cut the holes in the bottom section of the birch plywood to install the puck lights. Have an electrician hardwire the lights into the plywood coves. Make sure all the lights work before installing the cherry cover.
6. Cut the cherry boards down to 5-1/2" wide pieces on the table saw. Lightly sand the edges of the cherry to make the polyurethane adhere better to the wood. Stir a can of polyurethane, and brush on two coats of polyurethane to the front of the cherry boards. Let dry.
7. To install the front, hold the cherry boards flush to the top to create a shadow line underneath. You may need a second person to hold the opposite end while you nail the cherry front to the 2x4s. Fill any nail holes with putty. Touch up with stain and paint if necessary.
Add a soft glow to the end of your bed with this lighted footboard.
Light Fixtures 101
Nothing affects both the mood and the function of a room quite like lighting does, so consider these 6 tips when deciding what fixtures to buy.
Faux Capiz Shell Pendant
Beautiful capiz shell pendants add romance, interest and natural beauty to any room. With this DIY tutorial, you can make a capiz pendant to any size using basic household supplies.
Create a Curtained Headboard with Sconces
Traditional-style sconces are surrounded by shirred curtains to make an elegant headboard.
How-to: Rope-Wrapped Chandelier
The DIY experts at HGTV Magazine recreated this flea market find. Here’s how you can, too.
Light Fixture Enclosure
Disguise an existing light fixture by building a fabric-covered enclosure for it.
Easy Under-Cabinet Kitchen Lighting
Highlight beautiful countertops and brighten dark spaces by adding under-cabinet lighting to your kitchen. With these simple, step-by-step instructions, anyone can install under-cabinet lighting without an electrician.
Beading a Chandelier
Create a bedazzling overhead light by beading a chandelier.
Designing a Home Lighting Plan
We'll show you the basics, including design ideas, product tips and lighting choices.
Check out these tips for keeping your furniture environmentally-friendly by recycling, reclaiming and refinishing.
We're serving up the latest news, gorgeous style, crafty DIY projects, clever entertaining tips and more. Consider these your design digests.