How to Install Wainscoting
Add architectural detail to your home by installing wainscoting.
Materials and Tools:
chair rail molding
tack cloth or rags
hammer (or nail gun)
1. Sand all the trim pieces and remove the dust with a tack cloth or damp rag. Apply primer and let dry. Lightly sand the pieces again to smooth the raised wood grain and remove the dust.
2. Start with the chair rail. Take measurements and cut the chair rail to the necessary lengths using a miter box and a portable bench to hold the miter box secure.
3. Measure 30 inches up the wall from the floor and make a small mark. Draw a light level line on the wall at the mark. Locate the wall studs and mark each with a small piece of tape. Hold the chair rail in position and attach it to the studs with nails.
4. For the inside boxes, measure the wall space between the baseboard and the chair rail pieces. To keep the proportions looking right, leave less space between the baseboard and the bottom of the box than the full height of the baseboard itself. Since the featured baseboard measures 3-1/2 inches, the spacing for the inside boxes at both the top and bottom is three inches.
5. Measure 3 inches down from the chair rail and up from the baseboard; make a mark, and then draw level lines. Cut two pieces of the smaller trim to 30 inches with mitered ends. Hold the pieces along the level lines and attach. Measure the distance between the two pieces and cut the side pieces to length. Secure each with nails. Repeat the procedure until the room is complete.
6. Fill the nail holes and angled joints with spackling compound and caulk along the edges of the trim and wall. Let dry and apply two coats of paint, allowing it to dry between layers.
How to Store Cleaning Supplies
Let’s face it: Cleaning isn't most people’s idea of fun. But there’s also no reason to make it harder than it has to be. Take some of the pain out of household chores with these tips for keeping cleaning supplies sorted and at the ready.
Easy Storage Guidelines
Develop rules and go step by step so storage decisions don't seem overwhelming.
How to Make a Guitar Rack
Save space and display your prized instruments with these step-by-step instructions.
Dramatic Striped Ceiling Update
The ceiling is a room's fifth wall. Give this often overlooked area a big dose of personality with an easier-than-it-looks graphic paint treatment.
Roofing Component Basics
Roofing terminology can be a bit overwhelming. These basic roofing definitions will help get your project off on the right foot.
Fix a Door That Won't Stay Shut
Fix a door that won't stay shut with these step-by-step instructions.
Installing Fiberglass Batt Insulation
Use these tips and techniques to ensure proper installation of fiberglass insulation.
Repairing Roof Damage
A homeowner wants to know the cost of repairing a hole caused by moisture from a damaged roof.
Demolition: Removing Walls
Follow these guidelines for a safe takedown.
Astronomical Wall Clock
Dale Mathis creates an astronomical wall clock.
Sign up for the HGTV Inspiration Newsletter.
We're serving up the latest news, gorgeous style, crafty DIY projects, clever entertaining tips and more. Consider these your design digests.