How to Install Wainscoting
Add architectural detail to your home by installing wainscoting.
Materials and Tools:
chair rail molding
tack cloth or rags
hammer (or nail gun)
1. Sand all the trim pieces and remove the dust with a tack cloth or damp rag. Apply primer and let dry. Lightly sand the pieces again to smooth the raised wood grain and remove the dust.
2. Start with the chair rail. Take measurements and cut the chair rail to the necessary lengths using a miter box and a portable bench to hold the miter box secure.
3. Measure 30 inches up the wall from the floor and make a small mark. Draw a light level line on the wall at the mark. Locate the wall studs and mark each with a small piece of tape. Hold the chair rail in position and attach it to the studs with nails.
4. For the inside boxes, measure the wall space between the baseboard and the chair rail pieces. To keep the proportions looking right, leave less space between the baseboard and the bottom of the box than the full height of the baseboard itself. Since the featured baseboard measures 3-1/2 inches, the spacing for the inside boxes at both the top and bottom is three inches.
5. Measure 3 inches down from the chair rail and up from the baseboard; make a mark, and then draw level lines. Cut two pieces of the smaller trim to 30 inches with mitered ends. Hold the pieces along the level lines and attach. Measure the distance between the two pieces and cut the side pieces to length. Secure each with nails. Repeat the procedure until the room is complete.
6. Fill the nail holes and angled joints with spackling compound and caulk along the edges of the trim and wall. Let dry and apply two coats of paint, allowing it to dry between layers.
How to Install Beadboard Wainscoting
Beadboard wainscoting gives a family room a cozy lake-side feel.
Weekend Projects: Install Wainscoting
Add dimension and style to your bathroom with wainscoting. It will take less than a weekend and cost around $100 in materials.
Installing Wainscoting, Baseboards and Chair Rail
Add texture, depth and architectural interest to any room with beadboard panels and decorative molding.
How to Install Wainscoting to a Wall
Add an instant touch of class to a room with these step-by-step instructions.
How to Cover Dated Bathroom Tile with Wainscoting
Tired of your tile? Conceal it with budget-friendly beadboard wainscoting for an easy demo-free update.
How to Update a Ceiling with Wainscoting
Enhance a builder-grade ceiling by creating a cottage look with wainscoting.
How to Build a Wainscot Picture Rail
Learn how to install wainscoting and cap it off with a picture shelf.
How to Install a Sophisticated Chair Rail
Transform the look of your wall with a simple, yet elegant chair rail.
How to Install Crown Molding
Install crown molding to add visual interest and value to your home.
How to Install Fluted Molding
Fluted molding is used to add elegance to a traditional-style master bedroom.
Found a living space you love in HGTV's Photo Library? Get the look in your own home with products from Wayfair.
Photo Friday: Cooking and Dining in the Great Outdoors
HGTV Design Blog – Design Happens Aug 28, 2015 by Beth Rucker
This or That: Pick Your Favorite Vintage Find From Fixer Upper
HGTV Design Blog – Design Happens Aug 27, 2015 by Farima Alavi
6 Essentials for the Perfect Tailgate Party + Win the 1 Thing You Really Need
HGTV Design Blog – Design Happens Aug 25, 2015 by Farima Alavi
Discover the Winning Hue in Our Color Vs. Color Competition!
HGTV Design Blog – Design Happens Aug 24, 2015 by Kayla Kitts
Copy This Room: Get Beach Flip Style in Your Living Room
HGTV Design Blog – Design Happens Aug 24, 2015 by Shannon Petrie
4 Ways to Personalize Your Dorm Desk + College Goodie Giveaway!
HGTV Design Blog – Design Happens Aug 21, 2015 by Farima Alavi
The Easiest (and Cutest!) DIY Dorm Roommate Mugs Ever
HGTV Design Blog – Design Happens Aug 20, 2015 by Marianne Canada