How to Install Panel Molding
Add dimension to your walls with this easy alternative to wainscoting.
If you want to add style and depth to the lower third of a wall, this project’s for you.
Materials and Tools:
primer and paint
nail gun and nails
standard level or laser level
1. Prime and paint the molding and let it dry.
2. Measure your walls and determine the appropriate dimensions for your paneling. Standard chair-rail height, which is 32 inches above the floor, is an appropriate height for the panels.
3. Miter-cut the molding to the desired length and width.
4. Make a reference line around the room to mark the top point of your molding. Use a level to make sure your lines are straight and evenly spaced.
5. Attach the molding with a nail gun. Continue to use the level while assembling to make sure you’re attaching the molding evenly.
6. Use putty to fill in the nail holes, and touch up the paint.