How to Create Paneled Walls
Give your walls a two-toned panel effect with these easy step-by-step instructions.
Tools and Materials:
wall trim molding
paint and paintbrush
1. Cut molding to size. Start by cutting the wall molding to the desired size. Using a miter saw, cut four pieces of wood into two equal sizes (this will make one design), making sure the ends are cut at a 45-degree angle.
2. Lightly mark the walls. Decide where you want the molding placed on the wall and measure out the designs to make sure each rectangle will be evenly spaced and symmetrical. Then, using a level and a pencil, mark the walls so that you have a guide when attaching the molding.
3. Attach the first piece to the wall. Starting with the bottom piece of wood, apply wood glue, line up with marked guidelines, and press against the wall. Secure into place using a nail gun.
4. Attach the subsequent pieces. Next, attach the side pieces.
Apply wood glue to the molding. Line up the mitered corners and follow the marked guidelines.
Attach to the wall by pressing and secure with nails. Repeat this step for the rest of the rectangle.
5. Allow the glue to dry. Once all four pieces of molding have been attached to the wall, let the wood glue dry for about 2 hours.
6. Apply paint. Using a small paint brush, paint the molding your desired color.
Finally, paint the wall space around the molding a different color so that the design stands out.
Wall Paneling with Fluted Molding
Add dimension to any room with wall panels framed in elegant fluted molding.
How To: Creating Molding Stripes
Horizontal molding adds pizzazz to plain walls.
Weekend Project: How to Create Faux Crown Molding
Thin molding and paint are used to give the illusion of high-end crown molding.
Weekend Projects: Add Dimension to a Wall With Molding Stripes
Adding molding stripes to a wall is a cost-effective way to revamp a room. This project took less than a half a day and cost less than $100.
Creating Wood Columns in a Doorway
An opening between a kitchen and dining room is made classy with the addition of columns.
How to Install Fluted Molding
Fluted molding is used to add elegance to a traditional-style master bedroom.
How To Create A Faux-Tiered Ceiling
Paint techniques and molding are used to give the illusion of a tiered or vaulted ceiling.
Create a Geometric Focal Wall With Trim
A bold paint color and simple molding turn a bare wall into a stunning, graphic focal point.
How to Add Wood Paneling to Your Walls With Balsa Wood
Jonathan Fong shares the steps for adding warmth to your walls with balsa wood. Adapted from his book Walls that Wow.
How To Install Paneled Walls
Paneled walls turned a bland home office into elegant, Old-English study.
Found a living space you love in HGTV's Photo Library? Get the look in your own home with products from Wayfair.
We're serving up the latest news, gorgeous style, crafty DIY projects, clever entertaining tips and more. Consider these your design digests.