How to Build Wall Niches
Give art and entertainment a new, recessed setting with this project.
Wall niches are a great room-design alternative to an entertainment center. They can also be used to display art and photos. Here’s how to build them:
Materials and Tools:
¾-inch birch plywood sheets
1. Take measurements to decide how many wall niches will fit nicely in your space.
2. Measure the length, height and width of the objects that will be placed in the niches to assure a correct fit.
3. Cut small holes in the wall in the areas where you want to put the niches to make sure there are no hidden wires or plumbing.
4. Consult an electrician to reroute any electricity.
5. Create rough openings for the niches.
6. Using a tape measure and a level, mark measurements on the wall with a carpenter’s pencil.
7. Use a utility knife to score the outlines of the niches and to split the paper in the drywall.
8. With a reciprocal saw, cut out the rough openings for the niches.
9. Using ¾-inch birch plywood, build boxes that will fit into the rough openings to frame the inside of the niches.
10. Glue the edges of the boxes to hold the pieces, and then nail them to hold the seal. Paint or stain as desired.
11. Place the boxes in the niches and nail them into place.
12. If you’re putting a TV in a niche, use a spade bit and extender to drill holes through the wood so you’ll be able to run cords and wires. Be sure to run and install all wiring before the box is nailed into place.
13. Cut moldings to size to create the frames around the niches. Paint or stain as desired.
14. Glue and nail the molding trim around the niches.
15. To avoid mistakes, use painter’s tape for any touch-ups.
Build an Upholstered Storage Bench
Step-by-step instructions for creating a practical showpiece
5 Multifunctional Storage Furnishings You Need
Whether you have too little space, too much stuff or both, storage furnishings are a fantastic and affordable solution. Here are five essentials that work for just about any home.
Updating Your Home: Install Floating Shelves
These stylish shelves also add practical storage space.
Homemade Storage Cabinet
This cabinet accomplishes two tasks at once -- storing wine and serving as a buffet table. Learn how to make one using a biscuit joiner and router.
Turn Shipping Pallets Into Bathroom Storage Shelves
Add rustic style to a bathroom by repurposing wooden shipping pallets as an open storage solution to house toiletries and other essentials.
How to Hide a Flat Panel TV With Wall Paneling
Create custom architectural wall paneling that opens to reveal a hidden flat panel TV with basic lumber, tools and this tutorial.
$100 Half-Day Designs: Update Fireplace and Bookshelves
Dress up your living room by creating a candlelit fireplace and decorative bookshelves.
How to Make Bunk Beds and Bedroom Storage With Ready-Made Cabinets
Turn a bedroom wall into a storage unit with bunk beds using ready-made cabinets and basic lumber.
Decorative Paint Technique: Furniture and Wall Marbling Instructions
From our online exclusive Decorative Paint Techniques with Danielle Hirsch of Color Splash. Marbling exudes richness and sophistication. It can have a big impact on both walls and furniture.
Fake a Built-In With Prefab Cabinets and Bookcases
With the clever use of ready-made bookshelves and kitchen base cabinets, you can get the look of a custom built-in bookcase at a fraction of the cost.
Sign up for the HGTV Inspiration Newsletter.
We're serving up the latest news, gorgeous style, crafty DIY projects, clever entertaining tips and more. Consider these your design digests.