How to Build Wall Niches
Give art and entertainment a new, recessed setting with this project.
Wall niches are a great room-design alternative to an entertainment center. They can also be used to display art and photos. Here’s how to build them:
Materials and Tools:
¾-inch birch plywood sheets
1. Take measurements to decide how many wall niches will fit nicely in your space.
2. Measure the length, height and width of the objects that will be placed in the niches to assure a correct fit.
3. Cut small holes in the wall in the areas where you want to put the niches to make sure there are no hidden wires or plumbing.
4. Consult an electrician to reroute any electricity.
5. Create rough openings for the niches.
6. Using a tape measure and a level, mark measurements on the wall with a carpenter’s pencil.
7. Use a utility knife to score the outlines of the niches and to split the paper in the drywall.
8. With a reciprocal saw, cut out the rough openings for the niches.
9. Using ¾-inch birch plywood, build boxes that will fit into the rough openings to frame the inside of the niches.
10. Glue the edges of the boxes to hold the pieces, and then nail them to hold the seal. Paint or stain as desired.
11. Place the boxes in the niches and nail them into place.
12. If you’re putting a TV in a niche, use a spade bit and extender to drill holes through the wood so you’ll be able to run cords and wires. Be sure to run and install all wiring before the box is nailed into place.
13. Cut moldings to size to create the frames around the niches. Paint or stain as desired.
14. Glue and nail the molding trim around the niches.
15. To avoid mistakes, use painter’s tape for any touch-ups.
Build Floating Shelves to Wrap Around a Corner Wall
Wood shelves turn an awkward angle into an architectural feature.
How to Build Beach-Inspired Bamboo Wall Shelves
Carter Oosterhouse combines wavy-patterned acrylic panels with earth-friendly bamboo to create an exotic display shelf.
Build a Wave-Shaped CD Rack
Carter Oosterhouse shares a project for building a decorative wall-mounted CD shelf.
How to Build Bookshelves for a Recessed Nook
Carter Oosterhouse turns an empty niche above a closet into practical storage.
How to Hide a Flat Panel TV With Wall Paneling
Create custom architectural wall paneling that opens to reveal a hidden flat panel TV with basic lumber, tools and this tutorial.
How to Build a Wainscot Picture Rail
Learn how to install wainscoting and cap it off with a picture shelf.
How to Build Recessed Bookcases
This attic was updated with bright color, sparkling white trim and built-in bookcases that are often found in houses of similar age.
Built-in Bookcase and Room Divider
A built-in bookcase with open shelving separates the living room from the dining room yet still provides a light and airy feel in both spaces.
Decorative Paint Technique: Furniture and Wall Marbling Instructions
From our online exclusive Decorative Paint Techniques with Danielle Hirsch of Color Splash. Marbling exudes richness and sophistication. It can have a big impact on both walls and furniture.
Fake a Built-In With Prefab Cabinets and Bookcases
With the clever use of ready-made bookshelves and kitchen base cabinets, you can get the look of a custom built-in bookcase at a fraction of the cost.
Found a living space you love in HGTV's Photo Library? Get the look in your own home with products from Wayfair.
We're serving up the latest news, gorgeous style, crafty DIY projects, clever entertaining tips and more. Consider these your design digests.