How to Build Wall Niches
Give art and entertainment a new, recessed setting with this project.
Wall niches are a great room-design alternative to an entertainment center. They can also be used to display art and photos. Here’s how to build them:
Materials and Tools:
¾-inch birch plywood sheets
1. Take measurements to decide how many wall niches will fit nicely in your space.
2. Measure the length, height and width of the objects that will be placed in the niches to assure a correct fit.
3. Cut small holes in the wall in the areas where you want to put the niches to make sure there are no hidden wires or plumbing.
4. Consult an electrician to reroute any electricity.
5. Create rough openings for the niches.
6. Using a tape measure and a level, mark measurements on the wall with a carpenter’s pencil.
7. Use a utility knife to score the outlines of the niches and to split the paper in the drywall.
8. With a reciprocal saw, cut out the rough openings for the niches.
9. Using ¾-inch birch plywood, build boxes that will fit into the rough openings to frame the inside of the niches.
10. Glue the edges of the boxes to hold the pieces, and then nail them to hold the seal. Paint or stain as desired.
11. Place the boxes in the niches and nail them into place.
12. If you’re putting a TV in a niche, use a spade bit and extender to drill holes through the wood so you’ll be able to run cords and wires. Be sure to run and install all wiring before the box is nailed into place.
13. Cut moldings to size to create the frames around the niches. Paint or stain as desired.
14. Glue and nail the molding trim around the niches.
15. To avoid mistakes, use painter’s tape for any touch-ups.