How to Apply Popcorn-Textured Ceiling Paint
Learn how to apply popcorn-textured ceiling paint with a hopper gun in this home improvement project.
Add some texture overhead with these step-by-step instructions.
Materials and Tools:
hopper gun and compressor (available for rental at home-center stores)
paint suit and glasses
1. Fill any dents or imperfections in the ceiling with spackle, and then apply a coat of primer with a roller. Allow the primer to dry at least four hours.
2. While it's drying, mask off the walls and floor with masking tape and tarps, plastic sheets or drop cloths.
3. Wearing a paint suit, including a head sock and safety glasses, pour some texture mix into a large bucket and mix according to directions. Use a paint-mixer attachment to achieve a nice blend. The mixture is ready when it's the consistency of thick porridge.
4. Fill the hopper with texture mixture and fire up the compressor. Practice spraying on an old board or a large piece of cardboard to get the feel of the machine.
5. Lightly spray the mixture onto the ceiling, and keep moving to avoid oversaturating any area. Use multiple light coats and allow the texture time to dry between coats. If you spray the texture on too thickly, it will drip off the ceiling.
Walls That Shine
A color-on-color effect can be created in various ways, each producing a different look. These techniques require two wall paints -- satin and semi-gloss finishes -- in the same color.
Painting Wood Paneling
You don't have to live with outdated wood panel walls. Get painting techniques for a dramatic makeover.
Rag-Rolling Paint Technique
Create a dramatic look on your walls with little effort.
How to Paint an Antique Finish on Walls
Learn how to apply this faux technique with these step-by-step instructions.
Painting a Faux Area Rug
Jazz up a plain concrete or wood floor by painting a geometric pattern that looks like an area rug.
Paint Technique: Aged Copper Instructions
Paint wood or even laminate cabinets in an aged copper finish for a rich look. Follow these step-by-step instructions.
How to Paint a Diamond Pattern on a Wood Floor
Add a stylish touch to a room by painting a diamond pattern onto a wood floor.
Liven Up Your Walls with a Color Wash
Faux painting techniques energize a room with color and texture and can change the look of a room from drab to dynamic.
How to Paint a Floor Covering
Want to surround yourself with art? Don't forget about the floor. Follow these step-by-step instructions on how to paint a floor covering.
Paint Technique: Venetian Plaster Instructions
New and old walls benefit from the beauty of a Venetian plaster paint technique. Learn how to use this paint technique with these instructions.
We're serving up the latest news, gorgeous style, crafty DIY projects, clever entertaining tips and more. Consider these your design digests.