Double-Layer Crown Molding
Wood trim highlights a vaulted ceiling with double skylights.
Tools and Materials:
nail gun and nails
table saw (if necessary)
1x4 primed pine trim
1x2 primed pine trim
paint and brushes
1. Measure how much molding you need and buy the corresponding amount of 1x4s and 1x2s. To save time, try to find wood that has already been primed.
2. Cut the length of trim to the size.
3. Paint all the wood trim. If you can’t buy pre-primed trim, be sure to apply a coat of primer first.
4. Once the trim has dried, lay a bead of glue on the 1x2 and then position it in the center of the 1x4. With a tape measure, make sure the 1x2 is equal distance from all sides of the 1x4 for the entire length. Once it is perfectly positioned, secure it with the nail gun.
5. Use the nail gun to attach the molding to the ceiling.
6. Miter cut the corner pieces to ensure that they are tight and fit together snugly.
7. Patch nail holes with caulk.
Creating Wood Columns in a Doorway
An opening between a kitchen and dining room is made classy with the addition of columns.
Window Bench with Recycled Molding
A custom window bench is crafted for a Victorian dining room.
Sliding Shoji Screen Doors
A recessed entertainment center is concealed with rice-paper-paneled doors.
Wall Paneling with Fluted Molding
Add dimension to any room with wall panels framed in elegant fluted molding.
Installing a Laminate Wood Ceiling
Easy-to-install, tongue-and-groove planks add architectural interest to a vaulted ceiling.
Swinging Doors Adorned with a Wooden Butterfly
Decorate your children's space with easy-to-make wooden artwork.
How to Build a Bar with a Butcher-Block Countertop
The Rip and Renew crew uses basic construction to make a cottage-style bar with a butcher block countertop.
Built-In Bench With Butcher-Block Top
An empty niche is filled with an easy-to-make wooden bench.
Building a Floor-to-Ceiling Shelving Unit
An unused corner in a dining room is turned into storage for dishes and glassware.
How to Build Floating Shelves with Accent Timber
A recessed niche is dressed up with exotic-style wood shelves.
We're serving up the latest news, gorgeous style, crafty DIY projects, clever entertaining tips and more. Consider these your design digests.