Decorative Paint Techniques: Wall Preparation Instructions
From our online exclusive Decorative Paint Techniques with Danielle Hirsch of Color Splash. These simple wall-preparation tips will help ensure professional results.
Materials and Tools:
5-in-1 tool or wide blade
drop cloths (plastic and cloth) or sheets
blue painter's tape (with and without paper attached)
old paintbrushes or china bristle brushes
latex paint, eggshell sheen (Linen White) – Benjamin Moore
paint roller and 3/8" roller cover
1. Remove all the accessories, artwork and furniture you can from the room. Move the rest to the middle, and cover it with plastic tarps for protection. Don't cover the floors with plastic as it can be very slippery. Use drop cloths or old sheets to protect them from splatters and drips.
2. There's a misconception that decorative paint finishes cover imperfections. While that's somewhat true, paint doesn't stick very well to dirty walls, so clean them with soap and water (or TSP) and rinse with water once done. Let dry overnight.
3. Fill holes with spackle using a five-in-one tool or wide blade and caulk where necessary. Sand dry spackle smooth, and prime each spot.
4. Removing outlet covers makes for a much neater paint job. Tape the screws to the cover, and tape over the outlet or light switch to keep paint from getting on them.
5. Use an old paintbrush or china bristle brush to dust baseboards, trim and crown molding before taping them off (use painter's tape with paper attached to protect the baseboards). Overlap seams by at least an inch to avoid seepage between pieces, and then seal the tape to the surface with your fingers or a rag.
6. Base-coat the walls. Let dry, and you're ready to start any painting project.
These simple tips will help ensure professional results, whether you're simply adding a new color to the wall or trying a cool decorative paint technique.
Walls That Shine
A color-on-color effect can be created in various ways, each producing a different look. These techniques require two wall paints -- satin and semi-gloss finishes -- in the same color.
Choosing Wall Colors and Wall Paint Tips
Find tips for choosing the right wall colors and wall paint from the experts at HGTV.com.
Paint Technique: Venetian Plaster Instructions
New and old walls benefit from the beauty of a Venetian plaster paint technique. Learn how to use this paint technique with these instructions.
Crackle Paint Technique
Create cracks in paint to reveal the color underneath with these step-by-step instructions.
How to Powder Stencil a Wooden Frame
Learn how to stencil with bronze powder to create an antique-inspired decorative frame.
Painting 101: Oil or Latex?
Learn the advantages and disadvantages of using oil-based and latex paint.
How to Paint a Floor Covering
Want to surround yourself with art? Don't forget about the floor. Follow these step-by-step instructions on how to paint a floor covering.
Paint Technique: Weathered Wood Siding
The look of weathered wood siding adds simple texture to walls by just using two colors of paint.
Rag-Rolling Paint Technique
Create a dramatic look on your walls with little effort.
How to Paint an Antique Finish on Walls
Learn how to apply this faux technique with these step-by-step instructions.
We're serving up the latest news, gorgeous style, crafty DIY projects, clever entertaining tips and more. Consider these your design digests.