Built-in Bookcase and Room Divider
A built-in bookcase with open shelving separates the living room from the dining room yet still provides a light and airy feel in both spaces.
A shelf divider separates two rooms but still keeps them open and airy.
Materials and Tools:
3/4-inch birch plywood
8-foot dowel rods
1. Measure the space to determine the size of the bookcase.
2. The bookcase is built in three sections -- two columns and one headpiece.
3. Sideboards and shelves are built first. Since the design of the bookcase is to create a transparent flow, there will be no backboard. Instead, dowel rods will be inserted through the shelves so you will be able to see through the bookcase.
4. Put on protective eyewear.
5. Before assembling the shelves, mark two-inch intervals from side to side where the holes will be drilled in order for the dowel rods to be parallel to the sideboards of the bookcase.
6. For the top and bottom pieces, drill halfway through each piece to create resting spots for the dowel rods.
7. Stack the shelves so you can drill the holes at once and ensure that the dowel rods will line up.
8. Lay the column on its side to assemble it.
9. Using carpenter’s glue and a nail gun, begin assembly of the column by attaching the top piece.
10. Attach the first shelf to the sideboard using carpenter’s glue and a nail gun.
11. Insert the dowel rods into the pre-drilled holes. Slide the next shelf through the dowel rods until it is in place. Attach the shelf to the sideboard.
12. Continue for subsequent shelves.
13. For the bottom piece, fix the dowel rods in place and attach with carpenter’s glue and a nail gun.
14. When all the shelves are in place, fasten the other sideboard.
15. Repeat steps 5-14 for the second column and headpiece.
16. Attach the columns to opposite walls using a drill, level and screws.
17. Slide the horizontal headpiece and attach to the two columns using screws.
18. Trim with baseboard and crown molding to complete the project.
How to Make a Multifunctional Room Divider
Separate your spaces with a multifunctional room divider that is upholstered in a patterned fabric on one side and painted with chalkboard paint on the other.
How to Make an Acrylic Room Divider
Separate your rooms in style with this colorful, artistic and practical acrylic room divider project.
Create value, interest and storage space in three simple steps.
Fake a Built-In With Prefab Cabinets and Bookcases
With the clever use of ready-made bookshelves and kitchen base cabinets, you can get the look of a custom built-in bookcase at a fraction of the cost.
How to Make a Children's Room Divider
Use canvas stretchers and fun fabric to create a decorative screen.
How to Make Built-in Bookshelves
Build a corner bookcase that will serve as a focal point for the room. For more great project ideas go to Rip & Renew.
How to Build Bookshelves for a Recessed Nook
Carter Oosterhouse turns an empty niche above a closet into practical storage.
Make a Bench With Built-In Side Tables
A custom bench with side tables serves as a divider for an open-floor-plan living and dining room.
Build a Wave-Shaped CD Rack
Carter Oosterhouse shares a project for building a decorative wall-mounted CD shelf.
How to Divide a Shared Kids' Room
Use shelving and a creative paint technique to create an individual space for each kid in a shared room.
Found a living space you love in HGTV's Photo Library? Get the look in your own home with products from Wayfair.
Photo Friday: Cooking and Dining in the Great Outdoors
HGTV Design Blog – Design Happens Aug 28, 2015 by Beth Rucker
This or That: Pick Your Favorite Vintage Find From Fixer Upper
HGTV Design Blog – Design Happens Aug 27, 2015 by Farima Alavi
6 Essentials for the Perfect Tailgate Party + Win the 1 Thing You Really Need
HGTV Design Blog – Design Happens Aug 25, 2015 by Farima Alavi
Discover the Winning Hue in Our Color Vs. Color Competition!
HGTV Design Blog – Design Happens Aug 24, 2015 by Kayla Kitts
Copy This Room: Get Beach Flip Style in Your Living Room
HGTV Design Blog – Design Happens Aug 24, 2015 by Shannon Petrie
4 Ways to Personalize Your Dorm Desk + College Goodie Giveaway!
HGTV Design Blog – Design Happens Aug 21, 2015 by Farima Alavi
The Easiest (and Cutest!) DIY Dorm Roommate Mugs Ever
HGTV Design Blog – Design Happens Aug 20, 2015 by Marianne Canada