Build a Cover for a Window A/C Unit
Materials and Tools:
(4) #1 pine 1x8s, 8-foot long
(8) #1 pine 1x3s, 8-foot long
(2) 24x36 pine panels
wide cord minder set
36-inch piano hinge
air compressor with hoses
power miter box
1. You'll want to build the frame so that it's slightly larger than the A/C unit. Measure the dimensions of the unit and leave about an inch around the perimeter to allow room to remove the cover and clean. Cut a notch in the bottom of the frame to let the cord out.
2. We opted to build a five-piece raised panel door for the unit. Start by cutting the 1x3s for the perimeter of the frame. Use 45-degree miter cuts on each end.
3. Next, run the pieces on edge thru the table saw, creating a 1/4" notch. This notch will house the panel. 4 of the 5 pieces are done now.
4. Cut the panel to fit. (Measure the interior of your frame and add 3/16 inch.) Set the table saw blade to 10-degrees, and raise the blade 1-1/2 inches. Set the fence so that the tip of the blade just barely peeks out of the edge of the panel when you run it thru. Run all four sides of the panel vertically thru the blade. This will create a beveled edge all around. Be extremely careful when running vertical panels thru the saw as this type of cut can be dangerous.
5. Once it's cut, set the panel into the grooves of the frame, assembling the frame around the panel. Use only a small amount of glue in the middle of each edge. This will allow for wood movement as the wood expands and contracts.
6. Tack the corners with the brad gun, and clamp and set aside to dry.
7. Screw the door onto the frame using a piano hinge. Set the latches to keep the door closed.
8. Assemble the cover.
9. Prime and paint the cover.