Architectural Columns and Rails
Build columns, add chair rails and hang picture and plate rails for extra details around your home.
1. Cut plywood into the desired column width and height and attach together to make a long box.
2. Add crown molding that's cut at a 45-degree angle. Keep in mind that it must be flipped over when mitering (pretend the base of the saw represents the ceiling).
3. Finish with decorative beading a few inches below the molding.
1. To end a chair rail at a window, cut trim at a 45-degree angle.
2. Cut another piece in the opposite matching angle and remove just the angle portion. Attach it to the end with glue.
Picture and Plate Rails
1. Turn a piece of baseboard molding upside down and attach decorative trim to the top. Allow a space for picture hooks or plates.