8 Tips for Decorating With Asian Furnishings
Don’t stop with an Oriental rug — finish the look with furniture and accessories.
There's more to Asian furnishings than formal pieces such as Chinese porcelains, Japanese Imari and Oriental rugs. Less formal pieces also go a long way toward setting an Asian tone. Consider these suggestions for fleshing out the look:
1. Display a Japanese obi (kimono belt) on a stand, or use one as a table/chest runner.
2. Place a Japanese tansu in the kitchen. These traditional chests have a number of compartments and sliding grated doors, much like antique pie safes. A tansu can also be used in the home office or as an entertainment center. Large ones can accommodate a television, while smaller sizes are perfect for a bedside table. The design is very linear and would work well even with modern decor.
3. Decorate with sake jugs. Look for simple designs with Japanese writing.
4. Use traditional Japanese hibachis as planters to hold orchids. Or top a wood and copper-lined hibachi with glass for a coffee table. Display items such as an Indian incense burner and an old abacus inside and on top of the glass. Originally used as heaters, they come in all shapes and sizes.
5. Hang kimonos on the wall. Kimonos are actually very long, as the fabric is folded over several times at the waist and held in place with an obi. They're formal enough to display in the living or dining room and are also great for a bedroom accented with a Japanese fan.
6. Store CDs, art supplies or clothing accessories in the many small drawers of a 19th century Chinese apothecary chest.
7. Have a local lamp shop turn a 19th-century Chinese jar (or a vase or a jug) into a lamp.
8. Use a Japanese granite lantern indoors or on the patio. Hang a Japanese rain chain (typically used as downspouts) next to it as a sculpture.
8 Tips for Making Beautiful Vignettes
Get tips for arranging accessories into a gorgeous still life that creates a mood and makes your room look polished and pulled together.
Asian-Inspired Container Garden
Graceful clumps of bamboos and grasses, carefully placed pebbles and wooden railings combine to give this garden an Asian look. Here's how to plant and maintain the bamboo.
Decorator's Shopping Guide to eBay
Smart search tips to help you locate decorating deals on the world's largest online auction site.
6 Tips for Decorating Your First Home
Take it one practical step at a time, and don't buy into the myth about matching.
10 Tips for Harmonious Design
Check out these 10 tips for decorating in harmony with your significant other.
6 Tips for Displaying Collectibles
Display your collectibles beautifully with these simple tips.
Genevieve's Design Tips: Design a Hollywood Home
In episode one, the Design Stars made over their gorgeous Hollywood home. See what Genevieve says they did right, did wrong and how she could have done it better.
Bamboo and Tile Photo Display
Slate and bamboo get along beautifully in this project. Learn how to make an Asian-style bamboo and tile photo display for your home.
How to Set an Asian Table
Check out these 7 tips for incorporating Asian elements into a meal and how to present it.
3 Expert Tips From Emily Henderson
HGTV Magazine features the host of Secrets From a Stylist, who shares tips on shopping at flea markets, decorating shelves and arranging flowers.
Found a living space you love in HGTV's Photo Library? Get the look in your own home with products from Wayfair.
Photo Friday: Cooking and Dining in the Great Outdoors
HGTV Design Blog – Design Happens Aug 28, 2015 by Beth Rucker
This or That: Pick Your Favorite Vintage Find From Fixer Upper
HGTV Design Blog – Design Happens Aug 27, 2015 by Farima Alavi
6 Essentials for the Perfect Tailgate Party + Win the 1 Thing You Really Need
HGTV Design Blog – Design Happens Aug 25, 2015 by Farima Alavi
Discover the Winning Hue in Our Color Vs. Color Competition!
HGTV Design Blog – Design Happens Aug 24, 2015 by Kayla Kitts
Copy This Room: Get Beach Flip Style in Your Living Room
HGTV Design Blog – Design Happens Aug 24, 2015 by Shannon Petrie
4 Ways to Personalize Your Dorm Desk + College Goodie Giveaway!
HGTV Design Blog – Design Happens Aug 21, 2015 by Farima Alavi
The Easiest (and Cutest!) DIY Dorm Roommate Mugs Ever
HGTV Design Blog – Design Happens Aug 20, 2015 by Marianne Canada