$100 Half-Day Designs: Update Fireplace and Bookshelves
Dress up your living room by creating a candlelit fireplace and decorative bookshelves.
Materials and Tools:
faux wood contact paper
hanging candle holders
1. Place the tensions rods in the fireplace at two different depths. Make sure the fit is very tight, ensuring the rods will support the weight of the candles.
2. Tie one end of the fishing line around the loops in the candleholders and the other ends around the tension rod. Hang as many holders as desired but stagger them at different heights off the tension rods for added interest. Place little tea lights in each of the suspended holders.
3. Fill the empty fireplace floor with river rocks.
4. Clear off the bookshelves and take down the shelves. Measure the width of the interior and calculate how many sheets of contact paper are needed to fit across the back of the bookcase. Cut down sheets of contact paper as necessary.
5. Apply the contact paper to the back of the bookcase starting in a top corner and working your way down. Use a credit card and towel to work out any air bubbles which might get trapped. Cut off any extra hangover with the utility knife.
6. Return the shelves, books and knickknacks to the bookcase. Remember it's okay to leave space in the shelves and don’t overcrowd them.
Build an Upholstered Storage Bench
Step-by-step instructions for creating a practical showpiece
Clever Kitchen Ideas: Open Shelves
Create a functional space with this easy-to-install open shelving project.
Make an Easy Kids' Coat Rack
This simple-to-build, kid-sized coat rack will provide the perfect place for little hats and coats to hang.
Build a Wave-Shaped CD Rack
Carter Oosterhouse shares a project for building a decorative wall-mounted CD shelf.
How to Build a Hideaway TV Cabinet
Incorporate a television into a room’s design without making it obvious.
How to Shop for a Dresser
7 tips for getting the highest quality for your money, no matter your budget.
How to Build Bookshelves Around a Fireplace
Gather storage space around your hearth with these step-by-step instructions.
Check out these tips for keeping your furniture environmentally-friendly by recycling, reclaiming and refinishing.
How to Build a Raised-Panel Headboard
Add layers of lumber and decorative trim to a plywood base to create the illusion of one solid headboard. Follow these step-by-step instructions.
How to Build a Convertible-Top Coffee Table
Learn how to build a coffee table with hidden storage and a four seperate tabletops that flip from flat to cushioned.
We're serving up the latest news, gorgeous style, crafty DIY projects, clever entertaining tips and more. Consider these your design digests.