$100 Half-Day Designs: Update Fireplace and Bookshelves
Dress up your living room by creating a candlelit fireplace and decorative bookshelves.
Materials and Tools:
faux wood contact paper
hanging candle holders
1. Place the tensions rods in the fireplace at two different depths. Make sure the fit is very tight, ensuring the rods will support the weight of the candles.
2. Tie one end of the fishing line around the loops in the candleholders and the other ends around the tension rod. Hang as many holders as desired but stagger them at different heights off the tension rods for added interest. Place little tea lights in each of the suspended holders.
3. Fill the empty fireplace floor with river rocks.
4. Clear off the bookshelves and take down the shelves. Measure the width of the interior and calculate how many sheets of contact paper are needed to fit across the back of the bookcase. Cut down sheets of contact paper as necessary.
5. Apply the contact paper to the back of the bookcase starting in a top corner and working your way down. Use a credit card and towel to work out any air bubbles which might get trapped. Cut off any extra hangover with the utility knife.
6. Return the shelves, books and knickknacks to the bookcase. Remember it's okay to leave space in the shelves and don’t overcrowd them.