$100 Half-Day Designs: Shabby Chic Bathroom Makeover
Transform the look of your bathroom with a crackle finish on the vanity and easy-to-apply tiles.
crackle glaze (Behr, Premium Plus Crackle)
dark undercoat (Behr, Chocolate Coco)
light top coat (Behr, Oyster)
1. Start by applying the crackle finish to the vanity. Sand some of the varnish off with a light sanding with sandpaper. The main goal is to rough up the varnish so that the paint sticks. Cover any hardware, the floor and basin with painter's tape.
2. Apply the base coat with a brush. For this project, they used a dark color which will show through the light top coat when finished.
3. While the base coat dries, clean off the floor with a cleaner and a damp cloth.
4. Lay down the peel-and-stick tile, beginning in a corner where there's a 90-degree angle. When there's a problem area, use a piece of the tile backing and trace around the tricky spot with a pencil. Transfer the new shape to a tile and cut it out using tin snips. Once the cutting is complete, peel off the backing and lay down the tile.
5. After the base coat has dried, apply the crackle glaze to the vanity with a brush. Allow to dry for a few hours. Apply a single top coat of the lighter color with a brush. It should immediately begin to crackle.
Choosing Wall Colors and Wall Paint Tips
Find tips for choosing the right wall colors and wall paint from the experts at HGTV.com.
10 Inexpensive Decorating Ideas
Make a difference in your design with money-saving tips and budget decorating ideas from Design on a Dime's Kelly Edwards.
Painting Wood Paneling
You don't have to live with outdated wood panel walls. Get painting techniques for a dramatic makeover.
Chic, Cheap Bathroom Makeover
From pretty paint to granite counters, we've got low-cost, high-impact decorating tips for the hardest working room in your home.
Paint Technique: Weathered Wood Siding
The look of weathered wood siding adds simple texture to walls by just using two colors of paint.
Traditional Elegant Master Bathroom
Designer Peter Salerno uses classic cabinetry, stunning architectural details and a creamy white color palette to transform this bathroom into the ultimate retreat.
Painting 101: Oil or Latex?
Learn the advantages and disadvantages of using oil-based and latex paint.
Transforming a '50s Kitchen
Designer Karen Feldheim lets in more natural light and divides a long line of appliances to modernize a dated kitchen.
Paint Technique: Venetian Plaster Instructions
New and old walls benefit from the beauty of a Venetian plaster paint technique. Learn how to use this paint technique with these instructions.
Stenciled Adirondack Chair
Spruce up your porch or patio by personalizing an ordinary Adirondack chair with letters or numbers.
We're serving up the latest news, gorgeous style, crafty DIY projects, clever entertaining tips and more. Consider these your design digests.