$100 Half-Day Designs: Privacy Windows
Add privacy to your space without blocking all the natural light with decorative film and pretty fabric.
Materials and Tools:
paint (Behr, Little Pond)
sliders for rails
1. Tape off the ceiling, floor, window frames and walls, and paint the wall with a roller.
2. Measure the glass panel of each window, and mark the measurements out on the window film covering with a pencil. Use scissors to cut the film down to size.
3. Peel off the backside of the film and apply it to the window. Begin at the top and slowly work your way down, rubbing out to the sides to remove any air bubbles.
4. Attach the top and bottom rails to the curtain panels. Peel the adhesive backing off the rails, attach them to the panels and then tighten with the included screws.
5. Drill holes into the wall or ceiling for the brackets. For this project, the walls are brick, so they use a masonry bit to screw it into the wall. Place an anchor into the hole and then screw the bracket into place.
6. Assemble and hang the curtain rails, according to the manufacturer's instructions. The rails on the top of the panels should slide into the ones attached to the wall. Position the fabric in front of the windows. For this project, they overlay curtains in different fabrics and colors to create an interesting and visually stimulating appearance while providing plenty of privacy.
Provide Privacy and Style with a Stenciled Window Treatment
Save a fortune by creating your own graphic, modern window cornice.
DIY Kitchen Window Treatments
DIY window covering ideas can use everyday materials in unexpected ways to make a tremendous impact on your kitchen.
Bishop's Sleeve Window Treatment
A bishop's sleeve fabric treatment softens and stands up to a tall window.
Custom Window Treatments 101
HGTV Magazine shares advice on everything from measuring and buying fabric to where to go for custom window curtains, drapes, and shades.
Designer Kitchen Window Treatments
Designer kitchen window treatments can be the best way to express your personal style and make a tremendous impact on your kitchen.
Weekend Projects: Construct a Homemade Window Valance
Dress up your windows with elegant wood valances. They take less than a weekend to make and cost less than $100 in materials.
$100 Half-Day Designs: Create a Cozy Reading Nook
Custom shades, chocolate paint and candles are used to create a cozy reading nook.
Weekend Projects: Create a Wooden Privacy Screen for a Window
Instead of standard window treatments, try a wooden privacy screen. It takes less than a weekend to build and costs less than $100 in materials.
$100 Half-Day Designs: Fabric Artwork
Add interest to a room with easy-to-create wall art.
Add Shade + Privacy With Outdoor Drapery Panels
Turn your outdoor space into a shady, peaceful retreat by giving ready-made drapery panels a quick and easy designer update.
Found a living space you love in HGTV's Photo Library? Get the look in your own home with products from Wayfair.
We're serving up the latest news, gorgeous style, crafty DIY projects, clever entertaining tips and more. Consider these your design digests.