$100 Half-Day Designs: Colonial Dining Room Makeover
Elegant window treatments, a newly painted chandelier and simple slipcovers transform the look of this colonial dining room.
Materials and Tools:
spray paint (Krylon, White Laquer)
sheer gold ribbon
thicker plain gold ribbon
1. Begin by measuring the windows and cutting the fabric down to size. Leave the fabric about four inches wider than the window. Fold over the side edges and secure them with the no-sew tape. Follow the manufacturer's instructions for ironing on the tape and use it to give the sides of the window treatments a hand-sewn look.
2. Cut the 1x2 to fit the window. Fold the top of the fabric over and staple it in with the staple gun.
3. Wrap a piece of the sheer ribbon around each end of the wood and curtain, putting a staple at the top on the 1x2 and then tying it with a bow at the bottom of the curtain.
4. Screw the wood up into the top of the window with the wood screws and screw gun.
5. Detach the chandelier and light fixture from the ceiling, being sure to cut the power before doing so. Remove all the bulbs and place a piece of painters tape in each of the empty holes to keep paint out. Take the chandelier outside and spray paint it using the white lacquer spray paint. Hold the can six to ten inches from the fixture to get a nice even coat. Set it on a piece of cardboard for drying. Once dry, hang and turn power back on.
6. Paint branches white as well, to add as natural decor to the room. After they dry, place them in the window sill.
7. Slide pillowcases over the backs of the dining chairs. To dress them up further, tie a bow around the backs of the chairs with the gold ribbon.
Budget-Friendly Dining Room Updates From Expert Designers
We asked. They answered. Expert designers share what to buy if you only have $200.
$100 Half-Day Designs: Create a Stunning Entryway
Make the most of your entryway with a fun floor design and sleek chairs.
Living Room/Dining Room Makeover: From Gutted to Gorgeous
Candice Olson transforms an empty large main floor into a great room — in more ways than one.
$100 Half-Day Designs: Hanging Room Divider
Separate a room with a colorful window room divider.
$100 Half-Day Designs: Industrial Chic Kitchen Makeover
Transform your kitchen with updated cabinets and a magnetic and chalkboard backsplash.
$100 Half-Day Designs: Shabby Chic Bathroom Makeover
Transform the look of your bathroom with a crackle finish on the vanity and easy-to-apply tiles.
$100 Half-Day Designs: Create a Bedroom Focal Point
Paint and placemats play a starring role in this bedroom redo.
Outdoor Living Spaces: Ideas for Outdoor Rooms
Learn about options and ideas for outdoor rooms and outdoor living spaces.
$100 Half-Day Designs: Create a Cozy Reading Nook
Custom shades, chocolate paint and candles are used to create a cozy reading nook.
Provence Dining Room: The Look for Less
Check out these tips and tricks excerpted from the book Sensible Chic, and get a high-end look for less.
Found a living space you love in HGTV's Photo Library? Get the look in your own home with products from Wayfair.
Photo Friday: Cooking and Dining in the Great Outdoors
HGTV Design Blog – Design Happens Aug 28, 2015 by Beth Rucker
This or That: Pick Your Favorite Vintage Find From Fixer Upper
HGTV Design Blog – Design Happens Aug 27, 2015 by Farima Alavi
6 Essentials for the Perfect Tailgate Party + Win the 1 Thing You Really Need
HGTV Design Blog – Design Happens Aug 25, 2015 by Farima Alavi
Discover the Winning Hue in Our Color Vs. Color Competition!
HGTV Design Blog – Design Happens Aug 24, 2015 by Kayla Kitts
Copy This Room: Get Beach Flip Style in Your Living Room
HGTV Design Blog – Design Happens Aug 24, 2015 by Shannon Petrie
4 Ways to Personalize Your Dorm Desk + College Goodie Giveaway!
HGTV Design Blog – Design Happens Aug 21, 2015 by Farima Alavi
The Easiest (and Cutest!) DIY Dorm Roommate Mugs Ever
HGTV Design Blog – Design Happens Aug 20, 2015 by Marianne Canada