Organizing a Spare Room
6 steps to a spruced-up space
Spare rooms just seem to invite clutter in. Here are a few tips for using your extra space efficiently:
- Make use of vertical space. Use high shelves in a closet to store things you don't use on a regular basis. Add shelves to an empty wall to create additional storage.
- Magazines and newspapers can create excess clutter when we save them because we're interested in a single article. Instead, cut out the article and put it in a plastic sleeve, and create a binder for all these articles.
- When you create a home for something, be sure to label it so that the system stays in place.
- Designate clear bins for seasonal items, memorabilia and the like so you can get access to them easily. Don't forget to label!
- Evaluate your space on a regular basis to determine what you use and what you need. Anything else should be gotten rid of.
- Closets in extra rooms are often home to clothes you don't wear anymore. Get rid of them.