How to Reinforce a Damaged Entertainment Center
Follow these step-by-step instructions for repairing a large unit that has been damaged during a move.
If pieces of your entertainment center have been knocked out of position during a move, here's how to get them back into place:
Materials and Tools:
power drill with various bits
metal and wood files
1. Nip away any old staples that may be sticking out of the edges of the shelves and file them down flush.
2. Place clamps on the sides of the cabinet to position the top shelf. Make sure it's level. Once it's in place, wrap a strap or web clamp around the cabinet and tighten it so the sides are flush and tight against your shelf.
3. Remove the clamps and drive screws through the sides of the cabinet into the support boards on the underside of the shelf. Use a carpenter's square to transfer the measurement around the front of the cabinet to the sides, where you'll be driving the screws in.
4. Pre-drill holes for screws. Drill a shallow hole first to hide the head of the screws, just in the side of the cabinet, and then switch to a smaller bit and drill through the side and into the support.
5. Use wooden buttons to hide the screw heads. Apply a dab of adhesive to the button and press into place.
6. Continue the process for remaining shelves.
Check out these tips for keeping your furniture environmentally-friendly by recycling, reclaiming and refinishing.
How-to: Reupholstered Rocking Chair
Upcycle flea market finds to create exciting new pieces courtesy of the DIY experts at HGTV Magazine.
Build an Entertainment Center in One Day
Carter builds a semi-recessed entertainment center for a family room.
Seven Tips for Mattress Shopping
Our mattress holds a king-sized responsibility to deliver a good night's sleep. Here's how to buy the right one.
20 Cleaning Tips for Beds and Mattresses
Whether heaped with pillows or minimally spare, keep beds, mattresses and bedding in top shape with these easy-care tips.
How To: Building A Recessed Home for Flat-Screen TV
Solve the problem of where to put the TV with a recessed niche.
How to Make Twig Furniture
Add a country touch to any decor with this project.
How-to: Update a Hand-Me-Down Sofa
The DIY experts at HGTV Magazine went digging in the attic for treasures that deserve a second chance.
Buying a Sofa
Follow these tips on what to look for when shopping for a sofa, including comfort, support and style.
How to Turn a Dresser Into a Media Console
Turning a dresser into a media console that looks just as sleek at the flat screen above it is easy. Just follow these step-by-step instructions.
We're serving up the latest news, gorgeous style, crafty DIY projects, clever entertaining tips and more. Consider these your design digests.