How to Install a Motion Detector
Deter burglars and light your own path with these instructions.
Motion-detector lights alert you to any movement in key spots around your home. Here's how to install one:
Materials and Tools:
- Turn off the power at the main breaker switch.
- Remove the old light fixture and replace it with the new motion-sensor lights, connecting the white wire to white and the black wire to black with the wire nuts.
- Tuck all the wires neatly into the socket.
- Points the bulbs and the sensor in the desired directions.
- Secure the fixture in place with screws.
- Place water-shield gaskets on the base of the bulbs before inserting.
- Make any final adjustments according to the manufacturer's directions.
Funky Cool Blue Chandelier
From the pages of HGTV Magazine, Hilary Farr of Love It or List It tells you how to remix this old item with a little more than paint.
Designing a Home Lighting Plan
We'll show you the basics, including design ideas, product tips and lighting choices.
How-To: Vintage Egg Basket Lighting
Upcycle flea market finds to create exciting new pieces courtesy of the DIY experts at HGTV Magazine.
Change a Bulb, Change the World, Save Some Green
Installing energy-saving fluorescent bulbs will not only help save the planet, it will help save your budget.
How to Install a Dimmer Switch
Adjust the ambience and save energy with this project.
Lighting Basics for the Home
Find out how ambient, task and accent features work to light up your home.
Flexibility Creates Right Lighting Mood
Setting up appropriate zones for certain functions makes lighting design easier.
How To Embellish Party Lights With Colorful Streamers
Take your basic patio lights up a notch with sheer ribbon embellishments. These pretty colors will blow in the summer breeze, making those nighttime BBQs much more festive.
5 Tips and Tricks for Extra Holiday Twinkle
Here are some creative ways to drape and place dazzling indoor Christmas lights.
Outdoor Kitchen Lighting Ideas
Outdoor kitchen lighting affects everything from food preparation to mosquito control and is an important part of the design and performance of any outdoor kitchen.
Sign up for the HGTV Inspiration Newsletter.
We're serving up the latest news, gorgeous style, crafty DIY projects, clever entertaining tips and more. Consider these your design digests.